Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 650 And Up

Votes: 17 23.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking driving everyday through rain, sleet, snow, whatever. Long trips, short trips, hot as hell, cold, you can drive it by yourself or have your friends in there with you, all while still being comfortable, with the a/c and music bumpin. I would like to see what your opinions are. I honestly think that 400 wheel hp is where things start to get compromised with the fox cars for the street (I know you terminator/gt500 guys are laughing at this number but your motors come from Ford built for/with boost), I know we may have some 900 rwhp-1000 rwhp opinions but lets try to keep it realistic. So let's see guys, what do you think??

R

·
0 Posts
I know for a fact over 500 to wheels can be adventure......:woo:

350- 400 is not that radical IMO & it still quicker than the majority of the other car out there

for a " daily driver " thats a good number....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Depends on what kind of driver you are and how much expirence you have. For some kids that are just learning to drive a stock 5.0L H.O. at 225HP is too much but for an old war dawg like me the more the better. I've learned when too and when not to apply the right foot. Save the heavy foot for the track and take it easy on the street and 1000HP can be "Streetable". Common sense, not HP is what makes a car Streetable. Heck, doesn't the Rousch have something like 725HP and some of the Saleens are suppose to be pushing 1000HP aren't they?
Realistically, if I can get 300 out of my ol' heap I'd be in Hog Heaven.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Depends on what kind of driver you are and how much expirence you have. For some kids that are just learning to drive a stock 5.0L H.O. at 225HP is too much but for an old war dawg like me the more the better. I've learned when too and when not to apply the right foot. Save the heavy foot for the track and take it easy on the street and 1000HP can be "Streetable". Common sense, not HP is what makes a car Streetable. Heck, doesn't the Rousch have something like 725HP and some of the Saleens are suppose to be pushing 1000HP aren't they?
Realistically, if I can get 300 out of my ol' heap I'd be in Hog Heaven.
I could not agree enough!!
I cannot count on both hands and toes the teenagers who just had too much HP "around 200-300" in a old muscle car and just cannot handle it because they either still need to grow up or just need more driving under there belt. I can tell you 650-1000 HP is very streetable BUT cabin noise can become bad at times in all the cars I have been in including mine but this does not mean they are all like that, this is only what I experianced. I was VERY shocked to find out how drivable my car actually was with all that I had done to it. I was more worried about the spec stage 3 clutch that it would be hard to control but it was MUCH smoother than I could have hoped for. All in all the car drives out awesome and much more streetable than I would have ever imagined! So I say BUILD IT UP and have a blast :gringreen

·
Registered
19 Posts
Like the others have said, whatever HP you actually can handle. Just be careful of the flashing red and blue lights.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I say 4 and a quarter for max streetability on my part. 400 horse in a Mustang is PLENTY for the cruiser... :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
211 Posts
It depends on who builds it. Like TN.Frank posted, if Roush, Saleen, or even Yates offered to build me a 1000 hp engine with the understanding it needed to be streetable, I have no doubt it would survive under these conditions. However, I've been up all night and I never received that phone call. With that being said, my vote is for the 450-550 group.

R

·
0 Posts
there are many valid point being made but hp is realative.....

i know what my car throws down to the tire in full performance

which is close to 600 hp but this is nitrous car with a"moderate tune" & small shot of gas.....

the car is very driveable on the street

but now take same car 600 ponies N/A will be a handfull

big horespower cars can be street driven ....YES

Practical as a daily driver......NO

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I agree with you guys that big power can be driveable but not practical as a DD. Its best to have the entire package, Brakes, Chassis, and a Suspension to handle the power safely.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
reggie is right, my other car is 560 at the flywheel N/A so 475-500 rwhp. it is not bad on the street, but even going to cruise-ins and such i find myself leaveing it home more and more. more fun to take the "slow" car. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I'm talking driving everyday through rain, sleet, snow, whatever. Long trips, short trips, hot as hell, cold, you can drive it by yourself or have your friends in there with you, all while still being comfortable, with the a/c and music bumpin. I would like to see what your opinions are.
That HP limit will be higher if the engine has a bigger displacement or has forced induction. If you're talking about a naturally-aspirated 5.0 (302ci), I'd say 350rwhp or 1.15rwhp/ci is about the limit for a streetable engine with an acceptable idle. For a 351W-based 408 stroker, that would be a naturally-aspirated 470rwhp.
Practically speaking, you won't be using anywhere near 350rwhp in bad weather conditions.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm shooting for the 425-450 range for mine right now. I believe I'll be happy at that point and hope to be there pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That HP limit will be higher if the engine has a bigger displacement or has forced induction. If you're talking about a naturally-aspirated 5.0 (302ci), I'd say 350rwhp or 1.15rwhp/ci is about the limit for a streetable engine with an acceptable idle. For a 351W-based 408 stroker, that would be a naturally-aspirated 470rwhp.
Practically speaking, you won't be using anywhere near 350rwhp in bad weather conditions.

Yeah the more I read the different responses of the thread the more I started to think that I should have been more specific, like what's the horsepower limits of your basic fox build daily driver. I left it a bit open but I did bring up the whole deal with the shelby and terminator guys not scoffing at this idea of the hp limit that I thought was more likely for the street. Although the horsepower limit would go up with a bigger motor you honestly do not see too many guys running around with 470 rwhp 408's hell there have been many guys on this site disappointed that there 302's haven't broken the 300 rwhp mark. It's not as easy as it seems as they've come to find out. Once again my B I should've been more specific. But I still say regardless that 400 rwhp is about the limit. But it's cool hearing what everyones opinion is on the subject :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I think it depends, different folk's definition of drivablity can vary alot. If my car was 425-450 at the wheels, I could handle giving up some drivability. Others may not see the same as me.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I think maybe add in the line detailing how you make X amount of power too. I've seen 850rwhp Cobras here in town (saw them on the dyno) and they drive them to work 3 days out of the week. That's with a big honking Kenne Bell that's putting out over 20 psi and all the other Cobra tricks. Try making 850rwhp naturally aspirated, hahahahahaha... it can be done but try to drive that every day. It'd be cantankerous, rowdy, nasty, spitting, snorting, and how much fun would that be? Even a 450rwhp 347 can be a handful whereas make 450rwhp with a turbo and it'd be as docile as a stocker.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm building a daily driver twin turbo convertible. I'm hoping to be at about 450 on low boost...the set up should be good for like 700 to the wheels but as a daily driver I don't want to beat on it oo much. Plus anything else above that will put the block at risk so I'd say at about 450. Now if I had a better block I'd prolly do 600. If you think about it for a daily driver it all just depends on how you build it. the sky is the limit, like you said terminators and GT500s drive around with 700+ no problem. You could do the same as long as you do it right. Now it'd be easier to go higher on the HP if its a forced induction...compared to trying to drive around in a 600 N/A. A pretty good size turbo (or two :hihi:) or a supercharger with a top end kit will hit 500 no problem with good driveability. It all just depends. You could also drive around in a built 300 N/a block with a 200 shot of nitrous...:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 30 Posts