Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok winter is coming and My mustang is goin in my garage and iam goin to start my project. I Need to know wut setup i should go with. The tranny and engine are comin out.This is wut iam thinking of doin, taking out my 302 bring it to an engine shop and stroke it out to 347 right. Then i want to do a T-67 or T-70 turbo .ORshould with a supercharger. But if i get either one they are used. So wuts the best way to go?? i want to have around 450 horses if it can be done. Let me wuts the best set up for me thanks.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I would consider a 331 instead of a 347 for longevity, the extra stroke of the 347 pushes the piston to the cylinder walls creating premature ring failure..347s are nice but not for a daily driver.

The SC vs Turbo..well, SCs are easier to install and cheaper, but a Turbo setup will have more power at lower boost levels. All turbo setups are more complicated though, the extra heat of the piping can melt things inside the engine compartment, so you will need to insulate wiring and plastic components.

Tuning is another factor, turbo setups are not that easy to tune, but it can be done with the right chip and a competent dyno shop.

So there is really no BEST way to go, it is a matter of economics, the turbo setup has more parts and more labor costs involved, but delivers more power per-psi.

When rebuilding the engine go with low compression pistons, from 8:1 to 9:1.
Also take into consideration the extra volume of air and heat, install a better rad and exhaust components.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i have an 87 that was gutted and a 5.0 with the t-5 tranny in it but if i do the SC or turbo it wont be a daily driver so iam tryin to get as much info as i can

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
GTRaptor said:
I

The SC vs Turbo..well, SCs are easier to install and cheaper, but a Turbo setup will have more power at lower boost levels.
isnt it the other way around where superchargers make more power at lower boost levels?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The twin screws make power off idle. I have a procharger and it begins building boost around 2500, and maxes out at around 5500 rpms.

I think that's the general concensus with all superchargers. Turbos usually have a lag time, but I haven't done my research on them as much, considering the much higher cost.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
From what info I've be able to find is that most of the problems with the 347 have been overcome with quality parts,

You will get more power at lower boost with a turbo for several reasons. Possibly the largest difference is the energy required to drive the impeller. Exhaust flow is free where a belt takes HP to turn.

The turbo is a more complicated install and thus more expensive.

Even if you keep the stock displacement 450HP is reasonable with modest boost. The secret is in the tune!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anybody know someone selling a used supercharger or turbo?? No more then $1200 or can trade something or make a deal ???

·
Registered
551 Posts
MUSTANG Sal 87 said:
Does anybody know someone selling a used supercharger or turbo?? No more then $1200 or can trade something or make a deal ???
As far as turbo's:
Keep in mind, theres always the "junkyard" route too...score some junkyard units (for instant T-Bird turbos), either have them rebuilt or trade in as cores for a reman part, "homemade" exhaust, etc.
I've seen low buck setups done for like 1200 complete out the door. And of course you can save money by doing as much work as possible yourself. This is what I'm looking at eventually. Gathering parts a bit at a time, etc.

Supercharger: Yeah, you get the same additional performance, but youre limited on how much boost, without modifying the pulley. W/ a turbo, you can just turn the switch. Plus, "junkyarding" a SC is nearly impossible. But on the plus side, its low maintenence, much simpler, and can bolt in.

Basically, its up to you.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
check ebay man. i know alot of people get uneasy at the thought, but you can find GREAT deals on ebay. they have procharger kits on there, as well as paxton superchargers, and even some turbos. give it a look.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i talked to my friend who knows a lot about turbos and he said that a t-67 or t70 turbo is way to big. he said go with a t-4 or 6 turbo. So that the kind of turbo i am goin to be getting as of now.But I am new to turbos can anybody give me a list of all the things that i need to get. I mean every little part i need to make this thing happen thanks again guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used the turbo in my car at first found it was very costly and a pain,now I have a procharger and absolutely love it, it is also with a 347 and i have had no problems with it it's a great motor and a very strong motor i also have an 88 gt with a 331 and there is no comparison on how the 347 will out perform it so a 347 with a procharger is the way to go i push over 600 hp to the ground and its been running three years now.

·
Registered
551 Posts
MUSTANG Sal 87 said:
ok i talked to my friend who knows a lot about turbos and he said that a t-67 or t70 turbo is way to big. he said go with a t-4 or 6 turbo. So that the kind of turbo i am goin to be getting as of now.But I am new to turbos can anybody give me a list of all the things that i need to get. I mean every little part i need to make this thing happen thanks again guys.

First thing would be one of the "turbo bibles" floating around. For instance this
Just searching for "turbo" should find pleanty of good primers on the subject.

Hope it helps,
J

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
one bad stang said:
I used the turbo in my car at first found it was very costly and a pain,now I have a procharger and absolutely love it, it is also with a 347 and i have had no problems with it it's a great motor and a very strong motor i also have an 88 gt with a 331 and there is no comparison on how the 347 will out perform it so a 347 with a procharger is the way to go i push over 600 hp to the ground and its been running three years now.
i hear wut you are saying but idk if whana do the stroker kit. I am still thinking about it but 600 horse is way to much for me i just want around 450 horse. But can i get that with just the turbo or SC?

·
Registered
11 Posts
definetly you dont have to go with a sc as big as i have you can use p-1sc and should be right where you want to be

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea wut ever i can get first and is cheap iam goin to do.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
one bad stang said:
I hear you man good luck with whatever you decide to do if I can help let me know
Yea i think i am goin to go with the 347 street fighter stroker and then a SC. but thanks one bad stang i really appreciate the help because my so called "friends" said they would help me out but nobody does .But if u find a SC for cheap let me know thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
MUSTANG Sal 87 said:
yea wut ever i can get first and is cheap iam goin to do.
I don't mean to pick on you, but what ever the plans don't take the 'cheap' route!

Even with a mild stroker you will need to upgrade the cooling system and suspension before you even consider a power adder.
:)

For instance, my Ranger supercharger project started out as a 'cheap' upgrade as I thought that I had most of the upgrades already. The figure started at about 2 grand and is now at about 4! :laughlitt

BTW, it will only put out about 8 or 9 PSI and hope to get 450HP at the crank. I will remind you that 500HP is the limit of a 5.0 and have it live.

Good luck, but take your time and get LOTS of opinions and for god's sake get the corect tune done on a dyno! :smoke:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.