Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if anyone has info about putting great speakers in the car without putting a amp or subwoofer in the back. I want to get the most out of a stock setup using great speakers, and a great CD player. Maybe a player that uses great technology like being able to hook up my MP3 player to it or something.

Lets see, theres four speakers and two tweeters in the dash right?

What do you suggest?:wavey

·
Registered
214 Posts
memphis makes some pretty good sounding 6x9's and door speakers, id just go to maybe like a walmart and see about a cd player, they sale some decent ones

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Will it be worth it to put a small amp in the car? Would it be the difference in a car that sounds okay and a car that sounds like it has mach 1 or bose system in it?

I would like to achieve something like that- a bose or mach 1 sound. Can I do that without adding too much to the car? :headscratch:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Here is a little phrase regarding Bose that is common in the mobile sound industry: "No highs, No lows, must be Bose!"

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats a deck, ? set up?

I want to go better than walmart speakers I think. But if bose has no highs and no lows, I think bose blows. :laugh:

But I am basically considering a small amp to push some nice clear sounds out of the speakers..:hihi:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Depending on your budget, look for something in the Pioneer, Clarion, Kenwood, Sony lineup that fits your needs for the cost. As for a "premium" sound without amplification, I don't think that is achievable. Then again, my old hobby was Pro Sound as a mobile DJ and sound technician for a country music band, so I need a lot of power to get loud (dang near deaf FTL :()!

As for speakers, you will get a million different answers. Infinity Kappas are too dang harsh on the highs to suit me so I won't recommend them. Polk, Boston Acoustics, Alpine, Pioneer are a much better "off the shelf" buy. Regardless, a head unit (deck, cd player, etc.) with a decent 4 channel amplifier should and aftermarket speakers be your starting point. If anything, I would recommend getting better speakers for your front doors than in the back because that is where your main stereo image will come from. If I had to split the distribution on speakers, I would budget 90% of my money for the front speakers and 10% for the rears. I rarely run rear speakers anyhow, but that is besides the point.

For your sound to be really complete, I recommend a subwoofer, but many of my muscle car buddies do not want to add a subwoofer. A single 10 on modest power will help blend things together. Something like a Resonant Engineering RE RE 10" sub with about 300 watts going to it will do wonders for your upgraded sound. There is a large choice of 10" subwoofers to choose from and there are many decent alternatives to the traditional car audio subwoofers. A Dayton HO sub from parts express comes to mind here.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for the post,gunz.

I will consider a small amp, but I really thought I could get away with no subwoofer. Arent there so many cars out there without a big subwoofer in the back, factory stock that sound great?! I was hoping I could replicate something like this.

Anyhow, thanks again.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Many factory sound systems have started integrating 6.5 and 8" subwoofers. Of course, they cheat and generally use a servo controller to extend the low bass frequency response out of the cheapest subwoofers known to man!

The reason I recommended a 10, which won't require that much air space, is because I know how noisy Mustangs can be. The RE RE only requires .5 cubic feet of air space and 175 watts RMS. Regardless, I don't think you will get decent bass response from just replacing your factory speakers.

That is the neat thing about cars in general. You can buy a little bit at at time and upgrade as you go.:D Start with the head unit and four speakers, if that isn't enough, add a 4 channel amplifier. Then if that isn't enough, add a 10" subwoofer. Of course if all that isn't enough, just start smoking crack because it will be cheaper in the long run!:laugh:

·
Registered
457 Posts
your best bet is to go with a small sealed 10 inch sub with some high quality 6x9's and door speakers. why try and replicate a factory sound when you can do much better with an aftermarket one???

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ some of these systems like the mach system in the later stangs sound good! I thought maybe I could do what theyre doing to get a decent sound, wout adding the weight and wires of a subwoofer and amps. I had a system as such in my stang before and it was okay, but I want to trim down this time and just go with minimal stuff. My stang is turning into more of a racer.

Ill try the strategy gunz mentioned and just add as I go I guess. thanks. :headscratch:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Actually the Mach system uses amplifiers. There are two of them mounted under the back dash. If I remember correctly the Mach 460 gets its name from those amps. 460 watts.....Mach 460.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.