Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read on here about cyclinders having a knock sensor?, just wondering what that is, does that mean if a cylinder is starts to knock, or "act" up it will spit a code? learning as i go here about these beasts

·
Registered
769 Posts
All engines today have knock sensors. They are bolted to the engine block or cylinder heads depending on manufacture. The Ford mod motor has a boss on each side of the block under the intake manifold that the sensors are bolted to. These sensors listen or feel for engine knock or pre-ignition and relay that input to the ECU which then retards timing curve. There is a lot more to it than that but you get the basic idea.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Knock sensors basically find abnormal vibrations in the engine. It reduces spark knock during heavy detonation. They make AC output voltage and that increases with the severity of the knock. The signal goes to the PCM and the timing is retarded to compensate for the detonation. But as far as spitting a code, the only code you'll get from a knock sensor is when the knock sensor fails.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys

just trying to locate a weird knock sound coming from the passenger side of the engine, narrowed it down to the top somwhere just in front of the firewall it sounds like, its a 2005 GT 12,000km so im sure its not a bend rod or bearing going, maybe a small exhaust leak i dunno,

·
Registered
40 Posts
just trying to locate a weird knock sound coming from the passenger side of the engine, narrowed it down to the top somwhere just in front of the firewall it sounds like, its a 2005 GT 12,000km so im sure its not a bend rod or bearing going, maybe a small exhaust leak i dunno,
I had a knock sound coming from the newly instaled headers,I just changed the gaskets & titend the bolts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.