Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually around 3 is when I go to change it but is that too conservative? Should i push it even more? Or is that too much? Never owned a mustang before.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Usually around 3 is when I go to change it but is that too conservative? Should i push it even more? Or is that too much? Never owned a mustang before.
you could safely shift all the way up to 6k rpm, but you wont be making much power after 5250 unless you have a good setup including but not limited to forced induction..if you want better mileage and arent driving fast you could shift at 2k...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks - I def see a difference in speed when shifting at higher RPMs than lower - better kick off between gears. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't damaging anything if i was shifting at 3 or 4 as opposed to 2.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I shift at the line right before the redline. It's there for a reason for it being there. My friends blow right on passed theirs and shift pretty high. They allways tell me it's not going to hurt it if I do it sometimes. But they are always working on their cars at 120k or even 80k. When mine hit 186k last year, and the counter gave out, which is the frist thing that's broken. Only God knows how many miles she has now. I put 500 on two weekends ago when I went to Alabama.

Anyway. To sum all that crap up. I shift at the line right before redline, and no problems here.

I wish I had an auto so I don't have to look down at the darn thing, or a cool shift light. =]

·
Registered
824 Posts
thanks - I def see a difference in speed when shifting at higher RPMs than lower - better kick off between gears. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't damaging anything if i was shifting at 3 or 4 as opposed to 2.
oh no of course your not damaging anything...the reason for the more speed at higher rpm is because you are within a higher powerband..thats the whole point of it...if you had an automatic and you floored it, it would take you all the way to redline before it shifted..

I shift at the line right before the redline. It's there for a reason for it being there. My friends blow right on passed theirs and shift pretty high. They allways tell me it's not going to hurt it if I do it sometimes. But they are always working on their cars at 120k or even 80k. When mine hit 186k last year, and the counter gave out, which is the frist thing that's broken. Only God knows how many miles she has now. I put 500 on two weekends ago when I went to Alabama.

Anyway. To sum all that crap up. I shift at the line right before redline, and no problems here.

I wish I had an auto so I don't have to look down at the darn thing, or a cool shift light. =]
really now? well I will trade you my built 4R70W for your manual :)

oh wait not with 200k+ miles.. :hihi:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh no of course your not damaging anything...the reason for the more speed at higher rpm is because you are within a higher powerband..thats the whole point of it...if you had an automatic and you floored it, it would take you all the way to redline before it shifted..

wow - I can't imagine what it's going to sound like when i rev it all the way to the 5k mark. The engine is screaming around 4k - I never thought to go all the way for some reason I felt like it was "stressing" the engine and that is why it was so loud. THat's prob b/c I never owned a powerful car before! So both you guys shift at the red mark - wow. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
824 Posts
wow - I can't imagine what it's going to sound like when i rev it all the way to the 5k mark. The engine is screaming around 4k - I never thought to go all the way for some reason I felt like it was "stressing" the engine and that is why it was so loud. THat's prob b/c I never owned a powerful car before! So both you guys shift at the red mark - wow. :bigthumbsup
sometimes I shift pass the red line right at 6k...i dont make it a habit..

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
What year is your car? The 94-98's have a different redline......

At the track, I shift my '01 around 6k, but that's to be sure that I'm out of the nitrous......

On my '94, I wouldn't dare to bring the rpm's up that high because the redline is much lower.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What year is your car? The 94-98's have a different redline......

At the track, I shift my '01 around 6k, but that's to be sure that I'm out of the nitrous......

On my '94, I wouldn't dare to bring the rpm's up that high because the redline is much lower.
we're talking a brand new 08 so it def reds around 6

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, 6 is pretty much burying the needle on my '95.. I feel safe at 4k, starts going red at 4500rpm

·
Registered
568 Posts
With the disclaimer that I'm really no authority on the subject, I usually shift around 3k as long as I'm just driving around town. But, if I really get on it, I usually shift around 5k-5.5k, or just before the red line. I'm not sure about the V6 engines, but I think the torque on the 4.6's is the highest around 4800 RPM, and I usually feel a big kick in the pants around beginning 3500. So, if you're only shifting around 3k, you're missing out. Wind it up to near the redline a few times, and try to wipe the smile off your face.

That being said, while it doesn't hurt the engine to flirt with the redline, you're also wasting more gas (since it's doing more work) and all the parts are moving faster, so there's some more wear and tear. There's also a rev limiter at or near the redline that cuts off fuel (I think) when you hit it. It scared me the few times I hit it, because it's not a good feeling! I'm not sure if it hurts the car or not, but it definitely falls into the category of "better if you don't do it."

And good decision on the manual, too! But I'm biased!

·
Registered
177 Posts
really now? well I will trade you my built 4R70W for your manual :)

oh wait not with 200k+ miles.. :hihi:

Haha.. Yeah. I'm waiting on it to go out. Then i'll be looking for a auto. (maybe I should start looking now..) I've been quite abusive to it lately. It just wont give up.

When it does give out, i'm probliy going to want it back. When something lasts for over 200,000 miles. Bonds are made. Not just by rust.. But by blood and feelings and all that other mushy stuff.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Haha.. Yeah. I'm waiting on it to go out. Then i'll be looking for a auto. (maybe I should start looking now..) I've been quite abusive to it lately. It just wont give up.

When it does give out, i'm probliy going to want it back. When something lasts for over 200,000 miles. Bonds are made. Not just by rust.. But by blood and feelings and all that other mushy stuff.
you spend late nights strokin the stick? :so

thats cute..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the disclaimer that I'm really no authority on the subject, I usually shift around 3k as long as I'm just driving around town. But, if I really get on it, I usually shift around 5k-5.5k, or just before the red line. I'm not sure about the V6 engines, but I think the torque on the 4.6's is the highest around 4800 RPM, and I usually feel a big kick in the pants around beginning 3500. So, if you're only shifting around 3k, you're missing out. Wind it up to near the redline a few times, and try to wipe the smile off your face.

That being said, while it doesn't hurt the engine to flirt with the redline, you're also wasting more gas (since it's doing more work) and all the parts are moving faster, so there's some more wear and tear. There's also a rev limiter at or near the redline that cuts off fuel (I think) when you hit it. It scared me the few times I hit it, because it's not a good feeling! I'm not sure if it hurts the car or not, but it definitely falls into the category of "better if you don't do it."

And good decision on the manual, too! But I'm biased!
yeah i don't think I'll ever be getting to the point where I'm hitting the red - just drove a big trip and I had plenty of kick going into 4-5k. City driving i'll keep it at 3k. I don't mind killing the gas either. When you say the parts move faster at higher rpm - are you saying it might be more wear and tear in general if you go above 3 as opposed to not going above that OR going toward the red line constantly does more wear and tear?

·
Registered
568 Posts
When you say the parts move faster at higher rpm - are you saying it might be more wear and tear in general if you go above 3 as opposed to not going above that OR going toward the red line constantly does more wear and tear?
I think both are true. If an engine is idling, all the bits inside are moving at a fairly slow rate. As you give it more gas, everything starts moving faster, so there's the potential for more wear and tear. The redline is there as kind of a "don't go above this or you'll break your engine" point. To plagiarize from Wikipedia, the redline represents:

wikipedia said:
The maximum engine speed at which an internal combustion engine or traction motor and its components are designed to operate without causing damage to the components themselves or other parts of the engine.
Running into the high RPM's below the redline isn't something to worry about, but I was just pointing out that if you're constantly running up in that range before you shift, it just causes more wear on the engine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think both are true. If an engine is idling, all the bits inside are moving at a fairly slow rate. As you give it more gas, everything starts moving faster, so there's the potential for more wear and tear. The redline is there as kind of a "don't go above this or you'll break your engine" point. To plagiarize from Wikipedia, the redline represents:

Running into the high RPM's below the redline isn't something to worry about, but I was just pointing out that if you're constantly running up in that range before you shift, it just causes more wear on the engine.
thanks - not to beat this in anymore - although it would in theory add more wear and tear than idling (which can be the same said if you just sit and the car and not use it!) - I just want to confirm that by doing this you are not reducing the life of the car right? This was how it was meant to be driven right?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah. My Uncles automatic z28 flys right on up to the redline before it shifts. So I don't see the harm in it. Let me throw this out there.

Is it okay to.. undershift? When my brother drives my car he shifts freakin low. I mean he starts off and shifts under and just up to 2k. So the car is always running extreamly low RPM's. Wouldn't that put strain on the engine? It sure sounds like it when im riding in the car.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yeah. My Uncles automatic z28 flys right on up to the redline before it shifts. So I don't see the harm in it. Let me throw this out there.

Is it okay to.. undershift? When my brother drives my car he shifts freakin low. I mean he starts off and shifts under and just up to 2k. So the car is always running extreamly low RPM's. Wouldn't that put strain on the engine? It sure sounds like it when im riding in the car.
less strain..its how you get better mileage..

·
Registered
185 Posts
But again, engines are supposed to be turned up.. Running in low RPMs all the time isn't good either

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.