Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm in the process of resto-modding my 1965 Mustang coupe, and I think it may have a thermactor but I'm not sure. So I have some questions.

1. What is a thermactor?

2. How do I tell if I have one?

3. Are there any benefits to removing it? Does it effect horsepower?

Here are 2 pictures of my engine near where I think the thermactor would be. If anyone could take a look and tell me if theres one in there somewhere (I don't even know what it looks like) I would really appreciate it: 1965 Mustang: Do I have a thermactor? - Imgur

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Not sure, never heard of a thermactor.
Obviously it has something to do with temperature sensing.
I'm guessing it's the UFO shaped bell on the carb.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure, never heard of a thermactor.
Obviously it has something to do with temperature sensing.
I'm guessing it's the UFO shaped bell on the carb.
It was some device they put on the california-made mustangs to reduce emissions. There's just not that much info on it online and I need to determine whether I have one or not before I can continue rewiring my car :frustrated:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think 1965's had smog control. The thermactor is part of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) plumbing. If you check your headers and exhaust pipes and don't see a return pipe then you do not have a thermactor or EGR system.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think 1965's had smog control. The thermactor is part of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) plumbing. If you check your headers and exhaust pipes and don't see a return pipe then you do not have a thermactor or EGR system.
there is a small pipe about the size of a brake hard-line running from the headers up into the carb. would that be it? it's right in the center of both pictures in the album i linked to

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) The small pipe that goes into the carb is not part of the thermactor system. That's the heat tube for the choke thermostat housing. The thermactor system didn't have any electrical components, so, I don't see how it could hinder your ability to rewire the car. :headscratch: The system consisted of a belt driven air pump, an air filter housing, a vacuum pot that was mounted on the back of the intake, some hard lines that screwed into the heads at each exhaust port, and a bunch of hoses. It was required on vehicles sold in California starting at the beginning of the 66 model year, so, if you have a 65, it didn't come with it. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was required on vehicles sold in California starting at the beginning of the 66 model year, so, if you have a 65, it didn't come with it. :)
If that's true you just became my favorite person in the world. happyangel.gif I was beginning to think I'd never find the answer to this question.

And the reason it's stalling my rewiring progress is because I need to put in my pertronix electronic ignitor now and I don't know if I need the pertronix made for use with a thermactor or without one. I guess it was a little vague to just say it was the rewiring.

What is your source for the knowledge that thermactors were only put on 66 and later models?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
1. What is a thermactor?

In Ford-speak: Thermactor Emission control system = T/E

Air injection into the exhaust manifolds. It was a way to burn the emissions before they made it into the outside air. And, no, it has nothing to with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) which came later.

2. How do I tell if I have one?

Look for an air pump. I am not sure what all that stuff is on your engine but then I have never owned a 6-cyl. As stated, for the V8 engines T/E didn't start until '66 and then only in CA for '66/'67. For '68 it was used on almost all manual transmission cars both in, and outside of CA and was phased out late in '68. I don't know all the details for a six.

3. Are there any benefits to removing it? Does it effect horsepower?

The air pump has to take some HP to operate provided any pump might still work (not guaranteed). Otherwise, its a system that simply pumps air into the exhaust manifolds so removing it wouldn't do much unless some other changes are also made. The biggest change would be to cool the exhaust so it doesn't melt everything that it touches. The T/E systems started small bonfires in the exhaust manifold making the exhaust blazing hot.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Looking in the Ford catalog there were 2 kinds of T/E used on '66 6-cylinder cars. None was used for '65.

Neither of those systems looks like your engine. Are you sure its a '65 engine? If so, that 'stuff' may have been added by someone other than Ford. Was this always a CA car? CA required emission retrofits on some cars which introduced things that Ford never built.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking in the Ford catalog there were 2 kinds of T/E used on '66 6-cylinder cars. None was used for '65.

Neither of those systems looks like your engine. Are you sure its a '65 engine? If so, that 'stuff' may have been added by someone other than Ford. Was this always a CA car? CA required emission retrofits on some cars which introduced things that Ford never built.
No I'm not sure, it could be something else, I don't know. What do you think it may be? It was built in californa and had never left California that I've known of.. However I don't know a whole lot about it's past.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts