Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a performance exhaust on my 2000 V6. I currently have a glass-pack exhaust and it's cut short, which I guess means cherry bomb. I'm not very knowledgeable on exhaust. I'm decent under the hood, but I've never messed with the exhaust.

I bought the mustang with this exhaust on it. I want to know what the difference between an H-pipe and X-pipe is performance and sound-wise as well as what "Off-road" exhaust means. It's probably very obvious and I'm putting too much thought into it. Nevertheless, when looking for a true, loud, musclecar rumble, what exhaust should I be looking for?

If I add headers, will I need aftermarket?

I really just want a quick barney-style rundown of exhaust systems and what is needed.

·
Registered
544 Posts
H-Pipe will give you a more muscle car rumble, the X-Pipe will supposedly more horsepower with a more modern sound. google x-pipe vs h-pipe

The off-road exhaust means that it doesn't include catalytic converters.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
emissions testing

If I got an off-road exhaust, it wouldn't pass emissions, so I'd have to find an exhaust with CC's then I'm guessing?

·
Registered
292 Posts
You can get converters from Flowmaster,etc, that are better then the stock ones tho

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
The X and H theory sounds different for the V6. Seems like it's a rapsy either way. You will need high flow cats to hopefully pass emissions.

·
Registered
196 Posts
ive seen a guy with a 01 v6 he had stock manifolds and 2 cats removed (the 2 large downstream cats) and flowmaster 40s with straight pipe (no crossover pipe) i had 2 say it was impressive for a v6, enough for me 2 ask what he did 2 it. just an idea

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Read sig for my exhaust mods...
‪Mustang V6 flowmaster exhaust‬‏ - YouTube

H-pipe is deeper than x but the x flows better like said above, on the V6 with it being even fire the midpipe is really not to be thought hard over the x yields such small gains (1-2 hp) that you can get any setup without a major drawback

By the way the cats I have on my car in video are 49 state legal (not legal in CA of course) it should pass the sniffer test if you have it

The best headers for sound and performance are long tubes, the shorties are a waste of money, take it from someone who has done both..... Sadly....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts