Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 93 cobra vortech supercharger. Since the instal car has been running to hot with the current stock radiator and cheapo electric fan. Being in Florida I need something going to keep car cool.

Anyone have any recommendation for electric fan and radiator combo?

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
For the radiator, you could get a Griffin, Fluidyne, Be Cool, Ford Racing, or even a Summit radiator would be fine. I'd stay with aluminum, it tends to release heat better.
For the fan, check out the Flex A Lite 185, it pulls 3300 cfm and is a powerful fan.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm running a Fluidyne (FHP20-93MU) and Flex-A-Lite 175 in my '88 GT with Vortech S-Trim. I installed it over the winter for the same reason. It gets pretty hot here in Albuquerque NM.

Just letting you know that the combination of the wider radiator and fan barely clears the pulley system for the supercharger. In fact I had initially ordered a summit brand aluminum radiator (SUM-380451) . The radiator was a really good quality but a bit to wide. I couldn't get it to fit with the extras. I sent it back and got the Fluidyne.

I also added BBK ceramic shorty headers to lower underhood temperatures.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the 88 still get hot with the fluidyne and fan in the summertime....I am sure New Mexico just as hot as Florida? I just want to make sure i get something that works.

Thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the car get hot on the highway or sitting in traffic or both?

I would say both its running warmer than it should while driving but stopped in traffic it runs hot.

Its stresses me out !!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah, it's time to upgrade the stock rad. I would highly recommend a Griffin rad. They do a very good job of cooling, last a looooong time, and have never heard any complaints. My car has never passed 195 degrees, even in 85+ weather!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of fan are you using with the griffin? Also how hard is the install on both of them?

I am in 85 + most of the year in FLorida so I need best of the best when it comes to cooling the engine.

How much was the radiator?

·
Registered
96 Posts
You say you have an electric fan, so just run that for now and see how it goes. I'm not sure how much a Griffin rad goes for these days since mine was bought a long time ago but they tend to be a little more expensive than other aftermarket rads, but they are worth it! Also, make sure you're running a 180 degree thermostat.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm not sure but I've heard that brass or bronze( forgot which one it was) worked a lot better than aluminum radiators.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I use to have a Flex-lite 175, and FMS radiator, worked fine for me, in the summer in Va Beach, in traffic during the summer

·
Registered
179 Posts
Does the 88 still get hot with the fluidyne and fan in the summertime....I am sure New Mexico just as hot as Florida? I just want to make sure i get something that works.

Thanks
Sorry for the delay in response. I can't say yet...I just installed it over the winter. It's the largest radiator that would fit with my supercharger. So I figured its my best option.

I will say that the fan "eagleautosports" recommended, Flex A Lite 185, pulls more CFM/air than my Flex-A-Lite 175. You can compare the difference on the summit web site. I can't advise on the clearance of that unit though. I'll take a snap shot of the clearance on my set up in a little bit. I'll post it shortly.

Also check out the prices on these babies. I was upset to find this right after I installed my $400 dollar unit. If I had a choice to do it again, I would definitely give this one a shot.

Mishimoto Performance Aluminum Mustang Radiator - Manual - (79-93) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

·
Registered
179 Posts
To answer your question on the install. It's pretty straight forward with basic hand tools. This is off memory for a manual trans fox body. This should be pretty close to all the steps.

1. Drain your coolant. There should be a drain plug on the passenger side of the radiator.

2. Disconnect the lower and upper hoses.

3. Remove overflow bottle.

4. Unbolt the fan from the waterpump pulley.

5. Remove bolts/fasteners from the fan shroud.

6. Carefully pull the fan and shroud up away from the radiator.

7. Remove top Radiator brackets.

8. Slowly pull the radiator straight up.

Here are the pictures of the clearance I have with the Fluidyne and Flex-A-Lite 175. One more point I remembered once I looked at the photographs. The factory radiator brackets did not hold the new radiator very well. The brackets were loose and basically didn't hold the radiator real well. With the small amount of clearance I didn't want to risk using them. I bought a radiator hold down bracket from UPR Products for $29 in black. You can find similar products from other vendors. I did have to bend this one some to get a tight fit.

Unlimited Performance Racing Products On-Line - 79-93 Radiator Cover Black Powder Coated

Attachments

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have a Mustang specific Griffin rad (NOT universal) fits like a glove. (hold downs needed some modification) I also bought the DC Controls fan and controller kit. Fan is from a 99 SVT Contour (dual) and fits perfectly with extra S/C pulley. The controller ramps up and down slowly w/ no spikes to the electrical system and is fully adjustable. Well worth the money. Car runs at 190 w/ or w/o air on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.