Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive seen it in the store, what is this claybar and is it like a wax? how do you use it,thanx,sully:scratchchin

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
You use it to prep your car before waxing. It removes all the impurities that get ground into the clearcoat.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
+1 id like to know more as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx so much i really had no idea bout that

how often would that be necessary to be used i wonder, my car is only driven on nice days no rain or bad roads ,,thanx,sully

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pikapp has a good link listed there in his post .
i just checked it out,looks like a wonderful product thats easy to use,,,sully

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
How often? I think most do it once a year, unless you live out west where they have lots of sand storms. I usually do it once a year in combination with my annual full Zaino treatment, usually in the spring before the car shows etc.... Getting ready to do the wifes Vert in prepsration for the Race To Indy MCA Show next month. Mine was done last month before heading off to the 45th, so all it needs now is just a good washing and some detail spray.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yeah like pikapp said, it only needs to be done 1 or maybe 2 times per year. Even though it's fairly smooth, it is still an abrasive. So if you use it too much it COULD ruin your clearcoat.

I actually did it to my car today. Be prepared to get addicted to rubbing your hand over your car. It's that smooth!! :happyhapp

·
Registered
766 Posts
Like the guys have said before, it's a great product that removes surface contaminants from the clear coat without harming the clear coat. And like the other guys have said don't use it more than twice a year. It does make the paint so baby smooth. Make sure to use a good polish and wax afterwards.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here's a little trick that will tell you if you need to claybar your car. After you've washed / cleaned your car run your hand over the finish and see how it feels....is it smooth to the touch:headscratch:. If you think it is do it again but this time put put a ziplock baggie (or any other type of plastic sandwich bag). Does it still feel smooth to the touch :headscratch:.....probably not. The baggie makes your touch much more sensitive and detects imperfections in the surface of your car.

Now claybar a small area and try the baggie touch again...it should now feel like glass.

Remember to use a good lubricant (detail spray) when you claybar your car and also refold and kneed the claybar often. Also, there are different levels of claybar out there. Unless your car really has issues you can use the lightest level of claybar and it won't hurt your clear coat.

Personally, I use Adams' Polish claybars as they are easier to work with..... Adam's Polishes :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
41,828 Posts
Here's a little trick that will tell you if you need to claybar your car. After you've washed / cleaned your car run your hand over the finish and see how it feels....is it smooth to the touch:headscratch:. If you think it is do it again but this time put put a ziplock baggie (or any other type of plastic sandwich bag). Does it still feel smooth to the touch :headscratch:.....probably not. The baggie makes your touch much more sensitive and detects imperfections in the surface of your car.

Now claybar a small area and try the baggie touch again...it should now feel like glass.

Remember to use a good lubricant (detail spray) when you claybar your car and also refold and kneed the claybar often. Also, there are different levels of claybar out there. Unless your car really has issues you can use the lightest level of claybar and it won't hurt your clear coat.

Personally, I use Adams' Polish claybars as they are easier to work with..... Adam's Polishes :bigthumbsup

Good tip and the best tip is the Adams. Do not leave home with out it.

·
Registered
41,828 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.