Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read alot about people indicating the axle ratio in relation to power and engine configuration. But what does it mean?

Does it relate to the wheels turning fast or more per revolution of the drivetrain? (thats what I think)

And is a greater number better?

I have a axle code of 6 which says I have 2.80:1. Is that good? Bad? should I upgrade for more power?

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
The rear end gear ratio has nothing to do with power its take off and top end speed.You 2.80 is good at high way driving but will take off slow but something like a 4.11 will take off faster from a dead stop but sucks on the highway.What matters is the rear ratio in your tranny and rear wheel size you use.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wes,
Simply put, the rear axle ratio number (2.79, 3.25, 4.11, etc.) is the number of times your engine will revolve in high gear (assuming a 1.1 ratio in high gear, which your Mustang has) in order to revolve the rear wheel once. Therefore the higher the ratio, the more your engine will revolve at any given speed, resulting in quicker response at any given speed. The flip side is that your top speed and economy will decrease, and your engine and drivetrain wear will increase. If you have a daily driver this is an important consideration, if you only race the car, it means nothing!!!
Your choice. Any more questions, just ask.
Hope that helps.
Jay67fast

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, sounds clear. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I lifted my 1965 Mustang off of the ground and turned the wheel to determine the axle ratio. The drive shaft rotated between 1.5 and 1.75 times. My research indicates that there is no such axle ratio like this. What could be happening or what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Make sure both wheels are rotating at the same time. Also, use a fixed reference point on both your wheels and driveshaft. You'll most likely get more accurate reading if you rotate the driveshaft by hand, rather than spinning the wheels. You probably have a 2.80:1 rear ratio. That's the base ratio for the 8" rear and 2bbl 289.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.