Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, well my primary vehicle is a 66 I-6,

I really need to turn this car into a reliable daily driver that will start up and cruise around with no problem.

Engine runs strong, and trans shifts nicely. There really is not any problems with it other than a rot hole under the battery and the wiring is very sketchy. and sometime after the car is started she can just putter out right after the engine is turned over. (I figured that it is just because i didnt give enough gas to the carb when i primed it) I'm not sure.

Im not trying to make a show car I'm afraid of driving.. just an awesome car to get from A to B with and have a great time doing it.

Any ideas, or like a list of stuff to do would be great.

Thank you!

Namath

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I'd get an aftermarket wire harness and replace every wire in the car. If it has a single pot master cylinder and front drum brakes I would get a dual pot conversion along with power front disk brake conversion. Either get the carb rebuilt or find an aftermarket stand along fuel injection system to install. That alone would increase drive-ability tenfold. Ditch the points style ignition for something aftermarket with electronic ignition. Don't forget to change the powersteering gear with a tighter ration power unit and add power steering (if it doesn't have it already).

Basically, throw away anything 60's that is bolt on and bring it into atleast the 80's if not newer technology.

You could also buy a wrecked fox body GT and transplant the engine/tranny/wiring/ecu, etc... into your car and have an AWESOME daily driver.

·
Registered
831 Posts
b1lk1 covers its pretty well. I'd add a fire extinguisher to your list immediately. Why? It would suck to pull over and watch the car burn from an electrical short.

He mentions a dual bowl master cylinder, and that should be the first or second thing you do. The new harness is not a hard job to do, and it is needed. They aren't cheap though, but since you will be using this as a daily, it is a required investment.

From there, I'd save up and do each thing he mentioned. I converted to a rack and pinion, and that had the most impact on how the car "felt" while driving.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The big weakness in those early cars is the carbeurator. Get a really good rebuilt that is updated from the 60"s. It will fix all the stalling and hard starting problems inherent to those carbs. Goo dluck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you guys!

yah that carb is my biggest fear. I just dont want it stalling and stuff, you can just hear it idling very low and its a noticeable change when shifting from neutral to drive (etc.) I just replaced an autolite 1100 with a carter YF 1bbl in there. Im just trying to get it up to a good reliable running condition.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The stock 66 LOM distributor is not compatabile with the Carter YF. That carb sends the wrong vacuum signal to distributor. It has ported vacuum and your old 1100 carb had a Spark Control Valve, unless your vehicle is a California vehicle. It won't run correctly like it is. But if your wiring is bad enough you are concerned about a fire, fix that first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts