Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I started to notice this swooshing sound coming from the rear end at very low speeds. My best description of the sound is like, if my trunk was a giant fish tank that was half empty/full and is splashing around. haha.

I read somewhere about the brakes being bad but I checked them and they're fine. (they're brand new, calipers and all)

Does anyone know what this sound is? Or why it just randomly started?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

You probably have the dreaded water leak.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Check your trunk area for water. Look under the carpet in the quarter panels.

Reactions: ponyboness

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Google "Sloshing water sound S197". You will see a lot of links and comments about this issue.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Recently I started to notice this swooshing sound coming from the rear end at very low speeds. My best description of the sound is like, if my trunk was a giant fish tank that was half empty/full and is splashing around. haha.

I read somewhere about the brakes being bad but I checked them and they're fine. (they're brand new, calipers and all)

Does anyone know what this sound is? Or why it just randomly started?
Hey Pony,

unfortunately, the water-like sounds you are hearing, unfortunately might indeed be water! I have seen a few cases where water is getting into the panels of the car with no where to go and causing your exact issue. Over time, this could lead to major problems!

I would definitely recommend having a shop diagnose this and go from there! I am here to help if you need anything at all.

-Will

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks dude, I'll do that. Someone else told me to do the same thing. How and why would water get trapped in those areas though?
Bad weatherstripping, seals, possibly rot through the body. Water can also get trapped in the body where you can't see it. Some people have resorted to drilling holes on the bottom of the car.

I thought that it was mainly later model cars (11-14) that are having issues though. Here's a recent thread regarding the water issue:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...water-sloshing-around-body-my-14-mustang.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright after reading somewhere else, I've got another question. Where are the drain plugs located in the rear. I looked at it over the weekend and didn't see drain plugs (this was before I knew about them) so maybe I just over looked them.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to pop off some panels either today or tomorrow, take pictures, and post them for anyone refernece that is having this same issue. It's annoying and I'll fix it, people will get in my car and say "what's that noise" my reply is frank :|

1 - 10 of 10 Posts