Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new here. I have an issue with a 2002 mustang gt. It is making a chirping sound and a funny smell is coming up from the left rear of the engine comp. close to the fire wall. It kinda smells like a burning electrical. rescently it had an idle problem, so i cleaned out the idle air control sensor and It runs alot better but now this new chirping and smell prob pop up. I also recently replaced two plug boots because of misfiring, no more misfire. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciate.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Hey, welcome to AFM. You're gonna love it here. Any questions that you need answered I can guarantee someone will know the answer. This is a great site, with a bunch of great members :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I think it could be a clutch problem. There is a ticking coming from the back of the motor compartment along with the smell. When I push in the clutch until I feel resistance the ticking goes away. Throwout Bering? Also does anyone know how much a clutch will be to replace. I have access to a shop with a lift and tools, but I have never done any transmission or clutch work. would you recommend replacing a clutch without experience? Thanks!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The smell is likley your clutch and your right about the throw out bearing. If your going to put a new clutch in I would suggest finding a good trany guy who will do it for you,when I did mine I had a guy do it for me for $300 and parts were about $350. I would also suggest replacing the pilot bearing while you have the trans out as well they also tend to make noise after a while.

·
Registered
413 Posts
clutch

It is the clutch for sure, I noticed my car started smelling a little like paint burning, I ran the car up to around 80 in 3rd one day and noticed it, then a buddy wanted a ride along and I ran it up all the way through 4th, it did it again.

Then a few weeks later it started chirping. Get you a new clutch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes the clutch release bearing is the same as the throw out bearing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.