Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just some background, i live in a moderately temperate area, summers get pretty hot and winters are cool but not really cold (it doesn't snow at our altitude).

I know that the usual coolant/water ratio is about 50/50 but would a 60/40 keep the operating temp down without swapping out for a new thermostat? i believe it is still stock. Car is a 1995 GT. the car doesn't generally run too hot, only sometimes notice the gauge going over halfway and the fan on high like crazy.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
50/50 or whatever its freezing point is recommended for your area. Change the stat if your that concerned

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
If you are concerned I would flush your system and clean it out as best as possible. I would also install a new tstat and one of lower temp if you so desire. Also check to see if your fan is up to par and operating at it's true potential.

Water cools better as it transfers heat better but remember water boils at 212 so that is why coolant is added to help it from freezing or boiling over as easily. Some swear by water wetters but I have never personally used it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts