Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, turns out my 91GT has the incorrect calibration tube for my C&L 73mm MAF housing. I switched CAI setups and didn't realize there was a different tube for the MAF housing (just ordered the correct tube a few hours ago). Anyway, the question that I have is what timing setting should I be running for my engine with the following specs??...

24lb injectors
73mm C&L MAF housing
inner-fender American Muscle CAI
87 octane fuel
naturally aspirated but with Cobra upper and lower intake manifold, Holley TB
E303 cam

Also, I will be having an adjustable fuel pressure regulator installed.

C&L told me that after I install this new calibration tube they recommended 14-16 degrees for the timing and 36-38lbs of fuel pressure.

I am guessing my car is running stock timing (10 degrees?) and has the stock fuel pressure regulator (from what I can see when I look at it).

The car will be going in the shop to have the regulator installed and the timing set but I want to get it done the right way the first time. Also, I will not be getting a tuned MAF/Engine Computer so this is what I have to work with. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
i wouldnt touch the fuel pressure..stock fp setting is ~39 with the vac hose off the regulator..

timing depends on each individual car..some only like 10..some like 16..others are anywhere in between..general rule is advance it till it pings then back it of 2*..you'll have to play with it...

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
No need for an dj reg unless your old one is bad. Timing like stated is not a set number for performance without detonation. And everytime I have had someone work on my sh*t (only a few times) they have $%^&*# it up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FP Regulator

When I was looking at my repair manual it said that before you change the regulator you need to depressurize the fuel system. When I located the FP regulator on the fuel rail I realized that I could easily change it but what does depressurization involve (I usually try to keep anything that has to do with pressurized gasoline out of my hands and in the hands of a professional)?

Also, what will happen to my car if I unhook the vacuum hose attached to the FP regulator? What will change?

Thanks for the good info so far!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you think it is best to just not mess with the timing at all? We have a reputable garage in town that does great work on Fords. I would trust them with setting and or adjusting the timing. Thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see how timing could vary by car, depending on what you have bolted on to it, the grade of gas you are using, etc. Good advice!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My repair manual said to depressurize the fuel system. What does that involve? I am sure I can change the regulator but I don't wanna fill my engine bay with gasoline.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
all you need is a small phillips head and a towel. there is a schrader(?) valve on the fuel rail, hold the rag over it while pressing the middle part. like a tire valve.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
For what you have an adjustable fuel pressure reg. is not needed and would be a waste of money. Also you can borrow a timing light and set it yourself. I have seen cars that ping as soon as you move it past stock and I have seen others up to 18 degrees as this is all car to car basis as no to vehicles are the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts