Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
I am 15 years olds and I buy a 1989 lx mustang with my father and a want to do some modification on it .

now a got flowmaster exhaust, K&N ram air system, pulley and the ignition who are modified.

I want to know what it's the best high performance intake to put on my cars for street and drag. I am looking for an ford racing gt-40

what do you think about that?????

thank you very much
(sorry for my english)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I think your better off saving your money and buying a set of heads instead an intake. If you can wait and save the money replace the heads and cam at the same time. This way you can later add a intake to compliment your heads and cam, not the other way around.

I have the GT-40 intake on my car, its a decent intake manifold but there are better ones availabe at this point. I would look into an edelbrock performer II.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A new intake manifold wont do much until you get heads, and cam. Do that first then get the elelbrock performer rpm 2. The GT40 was great in its time, but there are alot of newer intakes out there now that make better power.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
what those guys said.

however, because you want this car to be streetable, i might suggest a less radical intake manifold, one that gives you good power from a standard street idle, like the Trickflow Street Heat

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
All you guys need to do more research.........

Attachments

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
And as far as which intake is best for a stock longblock - a stock intake with a ported lower! Here are graphs of dynos by one of my customers who only changed from a ported stock intake to a Cobra - he lost torque/hp in the low-mid range where you want it on a street car and gained it in a small rpm band up top - AVERAGE power (the true measure of comparison) was the SAME!!!!!!

Note that this comparison starts at 3,000 rpm - if it had started at 1,500 rpm you would have seen how much better the ported stock intake was down there too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
tmoss said:
All you guys need to do more research.........
You want to expand on that thought? From what I see on your pic the average's across the board all seem pretty close but the numbers from the performer are still better even if not by much.

If you check (I think it was 5.0 magazine) there was shoot out with the modern intakes that showed some decent numbers with the performer II outperforming the rest, but that was mainly in the top end.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
is it really better to do heads first? before intake?
i mean, i can see the convenience of not having to take the intake off to do the heads...

but will you really see NO power gains (or little)???

say for someone like me...
i have a high mileage motor that i want to rebuild, or possibly replace...
maybe even get a new car with a 5 speed eventually. but for now i would like a little extra power that doesnt involve changing heads and pulling motors and all that stuff. just some extra horse to have some fun with.
mods that i could remove and use on another motor...

is it not worth it?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
STONECOLD said:
You want to expand on that thought? From what I see on your pic the average's across the board all seem pretty close but the numbers from the performer are still better even if not by much.
So, if you have a GT40 on your car and all the "experts" tell you a Performer will make more power - you'll waste time and a few $100.

STONECOLD said:
If you check (I think it was 5.0 magazine) there was shoot out with the modern intakes that showed some decent numbers with the performer II outperforming the rest, but that was mainly in the top end.
That was on a 347 motor with heads,cam, etc - which this person does not have, and even tyhen it was not head and shoulders above the rest - including the GT40! I have that test graphed too, but it's on my home computer - I'll post it up later......

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
systronic said:
is it really better to do heads first? before intake?
i mean, i can see the convenience of not having to take the intake off to do the heads.... just some extra horse to have some fun with.
mods that i could remove and use on another motor...

is it not worth it?
The cheapest move for the HP gained is porting a stock lower for a stock longblock - if you want to purchase an intake that can grow with you, choose a Gt40/Cobra/Explorer/Performer for now - the RPMII is a good intake but the others are better for a 302 size engine on the street.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
tmoss said:
So, if you have a GT40 on your car and all the "experts" tell you a Performer will make more power - you'll waste time and a few $100.

That was on a 347 motor with heads,cam, etc - which this person does not have, and even tyhen it was not head and shoulders above the rest - including the GT40! I have that test graphed too, but it's on my home computer - I'll post it up later......
Not in my case as my car is for the street and I couldnt justify spending that much more money for a few extra ponies on a rare top end run, I dont buy anything just on what I read in a mag. I was just pointing that out because some people want the intake that makes the most regardless of by how little or how much, I havent seen the recent prices for the GT-40 but im pretty sure price wise the GT-40 and Performer II are about the same price with the Performer edging it out in top end performance. Dont get me wrong I dont hate the GT-40, I have it and like it. All im saying is that some of the newer designs are worth looking into.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The new GT40 is too pricey - they are avaliable used as is the Cobra and Explorer and they all make within a couple of HP of each other.

Here is the Jan 05 test of that 347 and all the intakes, onceagain the rag declared the RPMII the "winner" bases on peak numbers - horse pucky - take a look at the graph of those numbers...........

Attachments

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Worth of note on the above tests - they were all done with a STOCK GT40 intake - if the lower gets properly ported, it will perform just as well (or better) on many typical high performance street engines.

·
Registered
40 Posts
TMOSS....Hey do you know if you can port the upper intake on a GT40? I've got a pretty snotty 302 that I'm rebuilding after 6years. When first built the motor was dynoed at new england dyno at 423hp and 408ft/lbs.

My goal is to build the motor to 500hp. some people have told me I'm nuts, and one engine shop has told me it's impossible, but that conviently he builds a 347 stroker thats 500hp for $8500...if you guys dont know much about motors watch out for people like that.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
FIVE OH said:
TMOSS....Hey do you know if you can port the upper intake on a GT40? I've got a pretty snotty 302 that I'm rebuilding after 6years. When first built the motor was dynoed at new england dyno at 423hp and 408ft/lbs.

My goal is to build the motor to 500hp. some people have told me I'm nuts, and one engine shop has told me it's impossible, but that conviently he builds a 347 stroker thats 500hp for $8500...if you guys dont know much about motors watch out for people like that.
Thge only thing you can port on a GT40 upper is the throttle body hole - the tubes won't take porting. The lower is another whole different story and responds very well to porting. I'd be surprised to see a GT40 intake (even with a ported lower) hit 500RWHP on a 302-306 engine - but I'm not saying it can't be done, but everything in the combo would have to be jsut right - especially the cam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How would an extrude honed Cobra compare to the track heat? I've got both available to me at the same price and don't know what to do. Although the guy with the track heat may include a TB, isn't that manifold more top end power/torque where the cobra can make it down low? For the following year or two my car is going to be a strictly street driven car, I'll see the track maybe once or twice a year at most. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
40 Posts
For now I'm probly going to get the lower intake ported, put on a lightweight flywheel, and have the rotating assembly balanced...wont give me 500hp, but should give me a bit of a jump in hp.(my wallet is not gonna let me build it up as much as I'd like this year)

Tmoss thanks for the info...checked out your site also...very good info...nice to see someone take the time to explain things properly!

Bryan

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
ColdAudio said:
How would an extrude honed Cobra compare to the track heat? I've got both available to me at the same price and don't know what to do. Although the guy with the track heat may include a TB, isn't that manifold more top end power/torque where the cobra can make it down low? For the following year or two my car is going to be a strictly street driven car, I'll see the track maybe once or twice a year at most. Any thoughts?
I'd go for the Cobra based on your intended use.........

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
FIVE OH said:
Tmoss thanks for the info...checked out your site also...very good info...nice to see someone take the time to explain things properly!

Bryan
Your welcome..............

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
If the results are that close, per any given long block, than I'd get the GT40. It's one of the best looking pieces anywhere.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.