Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i picked up an 88 5.0 mustang last friday and was planning on getting plates on it and extra keys made on monday,but my freind picked me up to fix his water pump on his other car,and to make the story shorter it was parked in a feild and at some point i dropped my keys in it and cant find them :weeps

since iv never lost car keys i was wondering what was the best/cheapest option to get new ones made so i can drive my mustang and roll the windows up as soon as posible.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a locksmith is what i was planning on but i didn't know if it was better to go to ford because i have heard they can pretty much hand you an exact key but if thats true it probably wont be cheap coming from a dealership.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Think you can get a key for older cars (no computer chip inside key) for less than $10... Pretty sure they can cut the key from the VIN ... That sucks, good luck

·
Registered
109 Posts
Think you can get a key for older cars (no computer chip inside key) for less than $10... Pretty sure they can cut the key from the VIN ... That sucks, good luck

I think you will need to bring the title, registration or a bill of sale with you to prove you own the vehicle before they will make you keys. I would call and ask first.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think you will need to bring the title, registration or a bill of sale with you to prove you own the vehicle before they will make you keys. I would call and ask first.
+1 You might be right on that... I have never had to go that route, but I know someone who did... He didnt mention the paperwork, but then again, I didnt ask.

·
Registered
552 Posts
i know if it has the computer in it, you have to bring them the car.

But if they just cut it, you have to bring ID, and proof you own it, aka title your name and itll have vin on it

i got keys made for both mine at walmart and each one was like 98 cents a piece

but ford will be more :p

·
Registered
109 Posts
i know if it has the computer in it, you have to bring them the car.

But if they just cut it, you have to bring ID, and proof you own it, aka title your name and itll have vin on it

i got keys made for both mine at walmart and each one was like 98 cents a piece

but ford will be more :p
I doubt someone went to the trouble of switching the ignition in an 88 mustang so that they could have electronic keys. Also Walmart can make copy of keys you bring them. I have never heard of them being able to make keys from a vin.

·
Registered
304 Posts
ive had ford cut me keys from the vin on my '90 F250. as long as it is still the stock ignition switch then the key code will be all they need. cost me $6.50 at Herb chambers ford. took all of 4 minutes.

like said above i just had to show my registration to prove i wasnt trying to get keys made for someone elses car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.