Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've broken about half of these little round buggers. I was just pulling the interior in my trunk and of the four I pulled I broke two.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I didn't know lowes sells them. I've benn going to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I've broken about half of these little round buggers. I was just pulling the interior in my trunk and of the four I pulled I broke two.
I hate those things. There is a little two pronged fork-like thing used to pull them out. I just break them and buy new ones at Lowe's.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now how did my post end up above yours.

·
Registered
298 Posts
They actually come out quite easily. They are a 2-piece head design. Take your fingernail and pull out the small center pin until it stops. Then you can pull out the outer part of the head very easily. I have taken out many of them and have never broken one.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They actually come out quite easily. They are a 2-piece head design. Take your fingernail and pull out the small center pin until it stops. Then you can pull out the outer part of the head very easily. I have taken out many of them and have never broken one.
Those I don't have a problem with. Its the big single round ones.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
We're talking two different things. The retainers you're talking about and the plain old nylon push-in retainers.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That second one is the one I end up breaking half the time. There are two at both corners of the trunk that would not budge.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just replaced a break light today. I used a flathead screwdriver to pry them out, sort of like a crowbar. It worked for me.

·
Registered
917 Posts
+1 on snapping these things. I hate them with a passion

·
Registered
213 Posts
Off to get some of the wifes good silverware. :nogrinner
I am sure she will be happy about that. I actually found this flat-head screwdriver type tool that is pronged and it works great. Sorry I am not sure what it is really called, but it basically looks like the "fork mod" you guys have been talking about.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I actually use needle nose pliers, I use a thin piece of cardboard under the pliers, slide the nose, open, under the head, and pry up.

So far I haven't broken any. Depending on location and angle, some are more difficult than others.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have a trim panel tool for cars from the 90's and earlier and it bends every time I try to use it on thos little buggers. I resort to popping it up a little with a small screwdriver then I have a pair of curved nose needle nose pliers that an auto shop left in the engine bay of one of my trucks a few years back.

Funny story in itself. I pick up the truck and on the way home I guess the pliers shifted and I started hearing a heck of a racket form under the hood. I though "great, that is not the sound I was hearing when I dropped it off...:so I stopped popped the hood and the nose of the pliers were just touching the tip of the plastic radiator fan. Actually had the corner nicked off of each fan blade!

Back to those retainers...I'll put a little masking tape on the nose of the pliers if I think I might scratch something.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.