Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to upgrade my V6's suspension and I'm wondering what might be the biggest bang for my buck... lowering springs? Tower brace? Sway bars?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Many have been really happy with front and rear sways. The front sways can be purchased from saleen for about $30 plus shipping.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about the GT take off front sway? The only other suspension parts I see is the Saleen kit for $800.

·
Registered
502 Posts
hamidlmt said:
Many have been really happy with front and rear sways. The front sways can be purchased from saleen for about $30 plus shipping.
Count me among them...with the Saleen front takeoff, and the rear from Progress Tech (via V6MustangStuff.com)...WAY tighter in the corners!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Is this something where I can put the front on (and gain performance) and then later add the rear sway bar to add even more? Or is it best to do both at the same time?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't suggest adding a stiffer front bar with no rear. You'll seriously umbalance the handling. Either do the rear first, or both together.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If are looking to hook up better, a good set of LCA w/ possibly relocation brackets will help.

·
Registered
119 Posts
sway bars

im looking to install sway bars also is it just pretty easy to install? wer do u think could i buy take off parts for $30? tnx..

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
it all depends what you want to accomplish. Lowering springs wont do any thing but lower your car. There really is no best bang for your buck though sense every piece has its own specific job pretty much.

You just have to figure out if you want to go fast off the line or take corners smooth.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
it all depends what you want to accomplish. Lowering springs wont do any thing but lower your car [...]
Except by lowering the center of gravity and being generally stiffer, they reduce roll and squat and dive.

I did the GT take-off sway bars by adding the rear bar and running with it and the V6 front one for a while. It made quite a difference, cut down the understeer noticeably.

Swapping the GT front bar for the V6 one was a real transformation: remarkably flatter cornering, crisper turn-in, very much worthwhile. But still a little to understeer-y for my taste.

Swapped-in Steeda Sport springs. Should have done that first.

I changed the GT rear bar for an ADDCO 7/8" rear bar. Once again a worthwhile improvement in balance, closer to neutral steer. But ...

Swapped-in Tokico D-Spec adjustable struts and shocks.

Changed to H&R's 26mm rear bar, achieved neutral steer with over- and under-steer available on demand. A couple-three turns harder on the rear shocks, and it oversteers pretty good for autocross.

Finally, changed to Steeda's adjustable front bar. I have it set at the shortest of three lever-arm settings, so the rear bar will have something to work off. It seems even flatter, and neutral steer in ordinary driving (I'm sure I'm getting more than 1G at on-ramps, with Bridgestone RE-01Rs on 18x8.5 "Fanblades"), but I haven't tried the setup in an autocross. Next event is February 2 at Qualcomm Stadium. It's going to be fun.

I know this little history is familiar to some, but as long as the question keeps coming up I'll keep offering my experiences.

Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts