Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

well,this is my first post here on AFM.anyways

my friend is selling his 00' mustang GT.5 speed.couple bolt on's.I was planning on getting a 04 GT but he's besically giving it to me for that price.so I wanted to know what the difference is between the two?both cosmetically and performance wise.

thanks!

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
They are the same new edge mustang, the engine's were made at different plants. That's the only major difference, plus the hood scoop option for the 02-04's. I would go with the 04 GT since it's newer and you can start moding fresh:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
174 Posts
I asked clos eto the same question a little while back, and was told 2004 had a few tweaks done, vs. 03 and earlier. All 04's celebrate mustangs 40th anniversary but some also came with a special 40th anniversary package that adds more style to the interior. The main reason I bought a 2004 was because I wanted the low miles, and also like the newer billitt interior trim.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so basically its almost all cosmetic?i forgot to mention..someone said that the ECU's were different?

would the hoods and lights,etc. be direct replacements?

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
welcome to the site!i would go with the 04.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welcome to the site!i would go with the 04.

hey thanks!

but im getting a really nice deal with this 2000 gt,and if the only difference is cosmetic,then im down.any other input?

how do people liek theyre 2000 gt's?

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Alot of the cosmetics are direct replacments from 99-04.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Oh and btw, what mods does the 2000 GT have?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it has a 70mm TB,BBY CAI,basanni x-pipe,flowmasters,and i think thats about it.it has 98xxx miles.whats a good price?does have a little front end damage,like a light and hood,but thats it.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I say it's worth about 6k considering those minor damages.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
That sounds like a good deal to me. Take it to a mechanic and have it checked out to be sure it doesn't need any major work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love my 2000 GT one thing they didn't mention was the difference in the stereo is a single din in the 2000 vs dbl. in the 2004. the drink holders are in different places in the 2000 the one closest to the gear shift is worthless unless you get a short throw shifter. and I think traction control was an option on the 2000 vs. standard on the 2004. $4900 seems like a good price I paid $5500 for mine about the same miles but mine is a vert. I would say go for the 2000 and spend the rest of your money on mods! you can't lose either way though they are both great cars!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
421 Posts
I agree with JCLINTB. They are both great cars. Although I would go with the 04 because of the damage and 98xxx is getting up there. Plus it would be completely yours. As far as performance they have the engine and make the same power, so its really up to your personal preference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the info.yea,thats alot of miles.It does have traction control as well.yea the double din would have been better.other than that,what 1/4 mile times should i expect with those mods on street tires?

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me. I say mid to high 13's depending on how you drive.

·
Registered
506 Posts
they both have different trannys. Someone on here was saying that the 1999 to pre-february 2001 had the t45 which can handle 350 lb/ft and post february to 2004 had t3650 which can handle 325lb/ft.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey thanks!

but im getting a really nice deal with this 2000 gt,and if the only difference is cosmetic,then im down.any other input?

how do people liek theyre 2000 gt's?

I have had my 2000 since last summer, and for the price(10k w/47k miles) couln't be happier!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmm.only thing that I might be skeptical about the high mialege.but for 5k I guess I shouldn't let it bother me..should I check if its pre-feb so I know if its a t45?and what's the diference tween the trannys?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ive got the 3650 and thought it was supposed to be a little more beffier than the T45, but I guess not. 325lb/ft seems kind of low. Ive seen mustangs still sporting there stock tranny pushing more torque than that.
Anyways, If I was buying the 00' mustang, and be ready to give it a full tune up and ready for a few repairs. Seems 100K is the magic number for any car Ive owned. But if you plan on rebuilding it anyway, the 00' is definetely the way to go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.