Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to purchase o/r h pipes from MAC for my v6 stang
but i dont know if i should get

Long tubes or short tubes? what is the difference?

their going on with gt take off for my 2001 v6 stang

R

·
0 Posts
Longtubes are illegal in CA and you will fail smog with them. An O/R H pipe will most likely make you fail too as they have not cats. Generally speaking any exhaust modification in CA will make you fail smog. Some stuff you can get away with if you know the test guy, but long tubes and O/R pipes generally are a no.

·
Registered
323 Posts
LT's in CA (not Ladainian Tomlinson)

Longtubes are illegal in CA and you will fail smog with them. An O/R H pipe will most likely make you fail too as they have not cats. Generally speaking any exhaust modification in CA will make you fail smog. Some stuff you can get away with if you know the test guy, but long tubes and O/R pipes generally are a no.
I agree with some of what Redlyr says. However, it is possible to pass CA smog tests with a set of LT if you also have a "catted" shorty X or H mid-pipe.

I don't know if MAC still makes a catted shorty mid, so I would recommend looking into a set of LT + mid pipes from BBK or SLP instead as it's typically not a good idea to mix'n'match LT's & mids from different manufacturers. :nono: Same manufacturer LT exhaust systems guarantee a perfect fit.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
last i knew BBK didnt make LT's basically ur only choices are mac or pacesetter i believe (might be one or 2 more i havent heard of)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
last i knew BBK didnt make LT's basically ur only choices are mac or pacesetter i believe (might be one or 2 more i havent heard of)
I do believe you are correct! My father has a set of the pacesetter LTs on his 01. With the pacesetters you wont have to undo the motor mounts. They are supposed to be easier to install than the macs.
LT headers really only work well if you have a pa. Thats where you see the most gains from them. I think that ford has done a better job over the years with the development of the exhaust side.
Really even buying shorty headers would be a waste of money. Its not gonna flow anymore than the stock headers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.