Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was just looking for a new hatch and i saw one for 530 bucks that was blot on and then a one that said lift off and it was only 220. what is the difference in these two? thanks

R

·
0 Posts
bolt on mounts like the stock unit....

lift off just as the name implies 'lifts off '

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
The bolt ons are usually stronger too, because it has to support itself when opened. Many times, lift off parts are a basic skin and no structural strength so they are for racing only. That's why the bolt on costs more, so you can bolt it on like a stocker. A lift off requires fasteners like Dzus which also means welding in the secure tabs for the fasteners. The stock hatch latch isn't able to be used with a lift off lid, and you'll have those fasteners visible around the edge of the lid. That also means no key or lock...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok great thank you guys

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the lift off to save some $$$ but if I had it to do over I would get the bolt on. You have to remove the hood to check the fluids and that isn't always convenient. I have a few minor paint blemishes now due to taking the hood off so often. I go to car shows so this is a pain. It's much easier to just pop the hood instead of taking it off and trying to find a safe place to put it when at a car show or park and shine. One of my hood pins fell off going down the highway and I didn't notice it until the hood started lifting off at 80 mph. Caught it just in time; no damage. You will get sick of having to remove the hood every time you want to look under there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.