Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post on here. Im 17 years old I just got my first car two weeks ago it is a 1987 cobra gt mustang. So heres the mods:cammed, pace setter headers (800$), Flow master exhaust, Short shifter, new distributer cap, new plug wires, new plugs, new radiator, new fan , it has new seat covers, new ford floor mats. I got it for 1200$ off of my friend, I had originally planned on getting a Honda CRX si but after 3 months of finding them and them getting sold before I could contact the person I got sick of trying to find a car out of town so when I herd that my friend was selling his car I was like holly **** I gotta buy it because 2 months before he bought it off my other friend. So now Im wondering what should be modded next?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Change the rear end gears to 3.73

·
Registered
18 Posts
An 87 cobra? First year was 93. Anyways like ghostdog said, gears, a cold air intake, underive pullies, and since its an 87 you might wanna convert to mass air.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
indeed, im curious how that cam is working out with a speed density computer... maybe instead of working on power, give the car's suspension a once over. some adjustable shocks/struts, and maybe even a set of lowering springs (about 1.5 inches, not too low for street) will be a HUGE improvement, night and day, plus you can adjust for street and strip. or look into a new manifold set, check out the trickflow street heat, probably best bang for the buck for your application.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'd do a forged 306 with a blower and upgrade the tranny, clutch, and suspension while you're at it . . . . :happyhapp

G

·
fersa91gt said:
An 87 cobra? First year was 93. Anyways like ghostdog said, gears, a cold air intake, underive pullies, and since its an 87 you might wanna convert to mass air.
He's canadian, it's a GT. Ford named the canadian GTs Cobras so they wouldn't lose rights to the name.

·
Registered
514 Posts
[QUOTE='95.0 stang]He's canadian, it's a GT. Ford named the canadian GTs Cobras so they wouldn't lose rights to the name.[/QUOTE]

cool...i didnt know that ether

G

·
Yeah, I read that in another post a while ago. I wonder if the canadian versions were using mass air earlier than 88 since he has a cam?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My budget I have 800$ coming to me in owed money, and I'm gonna be going in for a interview at canadian tire and if I get the job I'll be making almost a grand a month. I was looking at different intake manifolds because they can increase hp by 37 hp, I was thinking of 1 inch lowering springs but here its really bumpy and I dont want any clearance issues. I was trying to find a conversion kit from 4 bolt axels to 5 bolt but I couldn't find anything. O ya I dont know alot about cars so if you could explain some stuff it would help alot ahah but thanks for the posts

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
[QUOTE='95.0 stang]Yeah, I read that in another post a while ago. I wonder if the canadian versions were using mass air earlier than 88 since he has a cam?[/QUOTE]

Nope, mass air didnt go mainstream until 89'

G

·
I'll wait for ghostdog or someone else with a little more technical info to go into this, but basically it's a way of directly measuring the amount of air entering the engine as opposed to relying solely on calculations based on volumetric efficiency, manifold pressure, intake temperature etc.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Speed density cars use a MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure sensor) to measure the manifold vacuum. The amount of air and load on the car is calculated and the appropriate amount of fuel is added. The reason speed density isnt popular around mustangs is we want to put in bigger camshafts and consequently that lowers the vacuum signal, and as you can imagine, not making the speed density computer happy because it cannot accurately measure the airflow coming in.

Mass airflow on the otherhand doesnt rely on vacuum and uses a hot-wire method to measure the amount of air passing by as the throttle opens. This combined with all of the other sensors (o2 , coolant temp sensor, tps, etc.) allow for the motor to upgraded (especially with a larger camshaft) and still measure the amount of incoming air and how much fuel to add, accurately.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
if you want to run five lug wheels, the cheapest way to go is to get front rotors from an 88 markVII and 2 DRIVER side axles from a 83-88 ranger. you will also need the drums from the ranger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.