Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im new to the world of mustangs and i have a 06 V6 and im looking for all minimal HP upgrades. Im not looking for HP boosters that cost thousands just the little things that dont cast an arm and a leg. If you would be so kind to give a list of a couple things with the brands of the items it would be very appreciated.

Thanks
-Tyler

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Poke around here and you'll quickly learn the favorites. CAI/tune and gears are generally the two most popular.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the first thing i should do to my 06 v6 mustang performance wise????

plz help me.....looking for all the cheaper things to do to my stang for all the HP i can get. i was looking at a K&N CAI but i wasnt planning on getting it tuned. I heard that you dont need to get it tuned. any other little things i can do for more HP? im on a tight budget so i dont want to be spending thousands.
thanks
-Tyler

·
Registered
571 Posts
a tune is one of the best things you can do along with a CAI. Gears maybe.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
swapping out the V6 muffler for a GT-takeoff can yield upwards of 8 HP and it costs around $160 and can be done in 10 minutes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so im no mechanic and dont know much about adding HP to cars. So what exactly are gears, how hard to install and cost??

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
ok so im no mechanic and dont know much about adding HP to cars. So what exactly are gears, how hard to install and cost??
You'd be swapping the ring and pinion in the differential. Doesn't yield hp but gives you quicker off the line performance because the driveshaft is turning more rotations for every axle rotation. Not a DIY job. Cost varies but $600 is a good ballpark figure.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The first thing to do is spend the bux and get a computer tune. That will make more differance in the way the car drives than anything else you can do.

A tuner will cost you about $400. From the time you open the box, read the instructions, and perform the tune, it takes about 15 minutes. The only tool you need is a sharp knife to open the box. You don't even have to open the hood. When you're done you'll say, "Holy Cow! It's a differant car!"

Spend the bux, do it now. You'll only end up doing it later. And then kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.

Cold air intakes have been proven to make around 25hp and 20 ft/lbs improvement on a GT (V8). V6 gains will be slightly less, I expect. Engines thrive on cold air. Since you live in a hot climate, I'd expect you to make more improvement than somebody who lives in Minnesnowda.

Since you already have an aftermarket muffler, I would leave the exhaust alone. Not enough bang for the buck there.

After that, it's tough to make significant improvements for low bux/low effort.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may look in to the computer retuning. What exactly do you do to tune the computer and what does it do when you retune the computer?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I used a Predator

I bought a Diablosport Predator for $334 plus tax, and the improvement was literaly like driving a totally different car. All you do is plug it in to the port under your dash and follow the instructions (same as most tuners) and it will walk you through the instal. Took me 15 minutes and It was the best money I have spent yet. It probably only yielded me 15 hp gain, but I installed the "firm shifting" program, and it was like somebody had given me a rebuilt trans with a shift kit. Has your stock v-6 mustang ever chirped the tires when shifting? after my program mine did WHOHO! I am not pluging Diablosport, because there a a bunch of different ones out there, but a tuner is surely the first thing to do imo. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
A tuner is a hand held computer. It's designed to interface with with your car's computer, and change operational parameters. Using your new tuner and a laptop, you can change fuel curves, timing curves, shift parameters, cooling fan control, traction control parameters, etc. Anything that's controlled by the car's CPU can be changed.

Now, I don't know about you, but I don't know near enough about this new car to competently make changes that are benifical. But, there are a few people around that do. Companies like Brenspeed have enough experiance and know-how to write a program that works. When you buy a tuner from one of these people, they load that ready made program into the tuner for you. When you plug it into your cars' diagnostic port, it loads the program for you. Simple and easy. All the real work is already done for you - that's what you pay for.

I took a good look at the specs on all the tuners I could find. They have a lot of cool features like code reading, speedometer adjust, and high speed data logging. But the truth is that the vast majority of Mustang drivers will never use all those cool features. Data logging? Sure, it's nice on my track car. But I'll never do that for the Mustang. So those spiffy features are wasted on me and most others.

I didn't come across a single tuner that would not work for the majority of drivers. So I chose one in sort of a backwards manner. Rather than choose a tuner, I choose a company that actually does the tuning. I chose Brenspeed. Then I looked at what tuner they work with - SCT. That's what I bought. The machine is simply a method of getting the program into the car's computer, nothing more. Now that I've used it, it will go in the basement to gather dust.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Oh, yeah. Without a doubt the best bang for the buck you can do. People spend a lot more money and effort for a lot less gain.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
What he's saying is that he doesn't care what programmer it is, be it the Diablosport Predator or the SCT X-calibrator 2 or 3.

He's right, the gain isn't from the type of tuner you use, its in the tune itself. Find a good tuning company (Brenspeed and Bamachips are 2 favorites around these boards) and go with whatever brand they use. Brenspeed uses SCT tuners, Bamachips uses both. Honestly I dont think there is much of a difference between the two.

Like I said, the magic is in the tune, not the tuner.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.