Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok. can someone give me a link to a site that has the tuners. Thank you.....oh and quick question i went and just looked....exactly how do i get to the port under my dash...where is it located? how do i get to it? what does it look like? etc...anything to help me have an easier install.
Thanks
-Tyler

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
If you're going to buy a tuner, buy it from a custom tuning shop like Bamachips. They sell their tuners with real custom programs for cars that will increase your horsepower and torque to the maximum they can be from just a tune. Other sites like the SCT one will sell you a tuner with generic tunes that aren't designed for performance.

Try this one... BamaChips Custom X-calibrator 3 05-08 Mustang V6 BamaChips Custom X-calibrator 2 05-06 Mustang V6 [X3 V6] - $379.00 : Bamachips, The Mustang Tuning Source

Thats the Bamachips website. Doug at Bamachips is a great guy and will take care of you and make sure you have a great experience with them. You will not be disappointed with their tunes either. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you're going to buy a tuner, buy it from a custom tuning shop like Bamachips. They sell their tuners with real custom programs for cars that will increase your horsepower and torque to the maximum they can be from just a tune. Other sites like the SCT one will sell you a tuner with generic tunes that aren't designed for performance.

Try this one... BamaChips Custom X-calibrator 3 05-08 Mustang V6 BamaChips Custom X-calibrator 2 05-06 Mustang V6 [X3 V6] - $379.00 : Bamachips, The Mustang Tuning Source

Thats the Bamachips website. Doug at Bamachips is a great guy and will take care of you and make sure you have a great experience with them. You will not be disappointed with their tunes either. :bigthumbsup
I might have to give this a try - so it's as easy as plugging it in and press go huh? What type of HP increase are we talking about and over the long run is that going to have a negative impact on the car?

I guess my concern is that why wouldn't ford do this tuning from the get go and make the car even better? If the parts are there why wouldn't ford "tune" them to max performance like this company offers?:headscratch:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Yes, it's as easy as plugging in and following the directions. The port on my '08 pointing down ward, just under the edge of the dash. Just about where my left knee is.

As far as longevity goes, it's only an issue if you use one of the more radical tunes, like a 93 octane race tune. For a mid grade tune it's not an issue. I retuned my truck about 60K miles ago.

Ford doesn't do it for a number of reasons. I think they detuned it so it wouldn't compete with the GT. There's not much differance between a 4.0 and a 4.6. So if you build and tune them the same, performance will be very close. So Ford detunes the V6.

Also, Ford builds a "generic" car. One that will be all things to all people. That requires a lot of comprimise. And don't forget the smog and sound requirements. A CAI kit produces about 20hp. But it also makes more noise. Even though it makes the engine more efficient, Ford doesn't use them because of the noise requirements.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, it's as easy as plugging in and following the directions. The port on my '08 pointing down ward, just under the edge of the dash. Just about where my left knee is.

As far as longevity goes, it's only an issue if you use one of the more radical tunes, like a 93 octane race tune. For a mid grade tune it's not an issue. I retuned my truck about 60K miles ago.

Ford doesn't do it for a number of reasons. I think they detuned it so it wouldn't compete with the GT. There's not much differance between a 4.0 and a 4.6. So if you build and tune them the same, performance will be very close. So Ford detunes the V6.

Also, Ford builds a "generic" car. One that will be all things to all people. That requires a lot of comprimise. And don't forget the smog and sound requirements. A CAI kit produces about 20hp. But it also makes more noise. Even though it makes the engine more efficient, Ford doesn't use them because of the noise requirements.
Thanks for the info!!!:bigthumbsup

Very helpful.

Last questions - I would select the 87 mod since I that's the gas i use (and with prices these days, I'm sticking with it)! Will I see the same type of improvement that everyone else is speaking of? Also how much louder does it get? I really like the sound right now - but I'm not sure if I can deal with it being that much louder. Are we talking MUCH louder?

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you don't have the pony package, get some GT takeoff sway bars ASAP. It feels great once you get them and it's quite cheap. NO HP gains but it'll put a smile on your face.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks for the info!!!:bigthumbsup

Very helpful.

Last questions - I would select the 87 mod since I that's the gas i use ?
I use the 87 tune. Makes good power on mid grade fuel.

I've used the higher octane tunes on other vehicles, and I wasn't impressed with the results. If you're racing and looking for every last HP, it's probably worth it. Otherwise, I say stick to the 87 tune.

·
Registered
107 Posts
just curious - do we know how much of a HP increase you get from the 87 mod?

Also - I already have the pony package - love it!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
According to Brenspeed, the 87 octane tune is worth about 15 hp. I havn't seen a dyno chart, so I couldn't tell you if that's true or not, or where those ponies occur.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.