Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get the most bang for my buck, I have a $500 budget how can I get the most horsepower with that amount?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Most for the least

:kooky:
I have tried it all, so take my advice. Timing adjuster set at 15'(and a 180 degree thermostat), one step colder spark plugs, X- pipe, and maybe a throttle body. None of these will hurt gas milage, but will really help performance.

·
Registered
604 Posts
David L Gary said:
I have tried it all, so take my advice. Timing adjuster set at 15'(and a 180 degree thermostat), one step colder spark plugs, X- pipe, and maybe a throttle body. None of these will hurt gas milage, but will really help performance.
He should just get 3.73 or 4.10 gears...

You won't gain any horsies but your car will seem a lot faster. You will probably improve your 1/4 mile time by .3-.5 seconds :eyepoppin

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
David L Gary said:
-- david, need to run higher octane w/the timing set at 15?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Most definitely run 93 Octane at 15 degrees advance. The downside to NOT running premium is an early chance to build up a forged bottom end.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Octane

I mentioned the cooler thermostat and 1 heat range colder plugs for a reason. I only run higher octane when going to the track and the bottle gets turned on, otherwise I have no problem with preignition with regular 87 octane. By keeping the cylinder temp down and the cooler plug doesnt get as hot on the insulator (inside the chamber), the chances for preignition goes down. My air to fuel ratio is also very slightly on the rich side (almost upto 13 to 1) under cruise conditions. Several factors play in the tune of a car.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I didn't even think about that David. All this time I coulda dropped a heat range on plugs and a 180 thermostat and advanced the timing more.....I feel like a moron now.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Dont feel bad

Do you know how many busted pistons, broken rings, and beat out bearings it took for me to learn this the hard way? At one time I did everything to get 1 more HP. Now I play it a little safer. :eyebulge:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.