Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the proper jackpoints for jacking up the Mustang? Obviously when jacking up the car to place 4 jackstands underneath, I can not jack where the jackstands go so jacking it up from the corners is not possible. The corners are where a lift would jack the car up from.

However with a floor jack I have been jacking the front of the car up from jacking underneath the engine crossmember shield (I think that is what it is called) almost directly in the center of the car that runs from wheel to wheel (not the bar that runs from the radiator backwards). It is about 4-6" wide and colored black. I think there is a small hole in the middle too.

From the back of the car I jack it up from the rear end gear housing.

Once the front is jacked up I slide the jacks to the appropriate spots, and then same once I do the rear.

This has worked well for years for me, but I want to make sure these are the correct spots. Can anybody confirm or deny this? Thanks! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
What is the proper way for jacking up the Mustang?
You have to be a dealer to do it, but you wait until demand is greater than supply (like when the Shelby GT500s came out) then you just add an "additional dealer markup" (or ADM) sheet next to the window sticker, and jack the price up above MSRP as much as you want.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Gary, is something buggered up with your sig? I'm seeing:

'98 Mustang GT auto trans - rio red with medium graphite leather
and I know you don't have one of those! Looks OK in your profile, so I'm wondering it it's a site glitch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:nono: Funny reponse, but lets keep on track please... Thank you! :wavey

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I've also used the "crossmember shield" as you called it... no problems yet. But I would be interested in what other people suggest since I often wonder the same thing... :headscratch:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Gary, is something wrong with your signature? I'm seeing '98 Mustang GT auto trans - rio red with medium graphite leather and I know you don't have one.
I do, sort of. That's my wife's car (hence the automatic trans) which we ordered new in 1997 with every factory option at the time. I was kidding about "jacking up" GT500 prices and didn't want to look like I was bragging or anything by listing the GT500 in my signature, so I unchecked the "Show your signature" box in the additional options section before submitting my reply, and then typed the description of my wife's Mustang at the bottom of my post so it would look like it was my AFM signature.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
anywhere along the pinch welds is fine...just keep it balanced.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I do, sort of. That's my wife's car (hence the automatic trans) which we ordered new in 1997 with every factory option at the time. I was kidding about "jacking up" GT500 prices and didn't want to look like I was bragging or anything by listing the GT500 in my signature, so I unchecked the "Show your signature" box in the additional options section before submitting my reply, and then typed the description of my wife's Mustang at the bottom of my post so it would look like it was my AFM signature.
HAHA! You are a tricky guy... :shigrin ;)

I've seen a few of your other posts, so I knew you were already quite humorous... so don't worry, I didn't take you too seriously!! =p

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I've also used the "crossmember shield" as you called it... no problems yet.
i sometimes use that when i put the stang on a lift, but i wouldnt use that with jackstands, it could slide off very easily.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Sorry, I meant that I use the crossmember only to lift the car up, but then I put the jack stands in their proper spots on the side. I was aware of possible slippage, but thank you for pointing it out. :bigthumbsup

(I actually put a piece of plywood in between the jack and the "shield" so that the jack doesn't mark up the metal, but whatever. :shigrin)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I think we have agreed that the crossmember can be used to jack up the front, and then placing the jackstands on the sides at the jack points.

However, nobody commented on jacking the car up from the rear. Can anyone comment on jacking up the car from the rear-end housing and then placing jackstands on the side rails (jack-points) after letting the jack down? Is this the proper way to jack up the rear?

·
Registered
568 Posts
However, nobody commented on jacking the car up from the rear. Can anyone comment on jacking up the car from the rear-end housing and then placing jackstands on the side rails (jack-points) after letting the jack down? Is this the proper way to jack up the rear?
I think jacking the car from the pumpkin (differential housing) is a no-no. I think that someone on here said that jacking from under the rear jack points, and then putting the jackstands under the rear axle was safe and wouldn't hurt anything. I did that once, and it seemed to work.

If there's a better way to do it, someone please correct me! I usually use ramps, since I'm a little leery of jackstands.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
So I think we have agreed that the crossmember can be used to jack up the front, and then placing the jackstands on the sides at the jack points.

uhh..well, i've seen people do that before, but monkey-see-monkey-do isnt always the right way to go lol.:laugh:

I think that someone on here said that jacking from under the rear jack points, and then putting the jackstands under the rear axle was safe and wouldn't hurt anything. I did that once, and it seemed to work.

If there's a better way to do it, someone please correct me! I usually use ramps, since I'm a little leery of jackstands.
thats fine.
that wont hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
...I think that someone on here said that jacking from under the rear jack points, and then putting the jackstands under the rear axle was safe and wouldn't hurt anything. I did that once, and it seemed to work...
What if you want the rear axle to be free (like, if you are installing an exhaust or lowering springs)? Could you do the reverse: jack the car up using the axle and then put the stands under the jack points?:headscratch:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To reply to an old post of mine and for future readers - here are some decent pics (albeit small) that show the proper location for jacking up a fox body mustang:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/mach1racer/Jackingupyourmustang.jpg

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...iece-radiator-sits-jacking-points-mustang.jpg

For the rear of the car I used those flat locations along the body that are in front of the wheel and run horizontally in parallel to the rear axle.

For the front of the car, I used the locations that run vertical the length of the car and in parallel to the catalytic converters.

Whatever you do, do NOT use those pinch weld spots made for the spare tire jack with a normal floor jack. It's such a small surface and I bent up one of those welds so bad, I don't know if the spare jack will even fit there anymore. :nono:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts