1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I don't know what it is but i wouldn't drive it. something in the valvetrain possibly? How is your piston/valve clearance? Check all the bolts I guess.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey, i just watched the vid and that sounds pretty bad. i had a slightly quieter tick in my engine and it was the bottom end, had no oil. it sounds stupid but have you checked the oil? i hadn't checked mine in a couple of weeks and it didn't even show up on the dipstick. i would say it has something to do with the engine though and not the transmission. whatever it is, good luck. i would agree and say to not drive it anymore though.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
You need to stop driving it before you really tear something up. It sounds like a rod in one and then it sounds like something inside the bellhousing in the other.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I had a rod bearing spin and it sounded like a hammer on an anvil, with a distinct ping to it. That sounds similar, due to it being in time with the engine speed. Metallic sounds can travel throughout the drivetrain, making it sound like it's coming from other places.

When did the noise start? Can you pinpoint what was happening right before the noise first started?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The noise started a few days ago and I immediately stopped driving it. I just got it to the speed shop that did the motor install for me. The DSS short block has less than 2K miles on it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i hope its not a rod bearing, but thats what it sounds like.
If it's a rod bearing then I would hope DSS would replace the short block. It's less than 12 months old and still under warrenty.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got "the" call from my local shop. They said it's a rod bearing. Part of the clicking noise is the piston possibly hitting the head. They are in contact to DSS Racing to get me a new short block. This one was only 5 months old.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That suck dude good luck with getting it replaced.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey I had that same sound. it was a valve spring retainer that broke. causing the valve to hit the piston. pull the valve covers look at the retainers...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey I had that same sound. it was a valve spring retainer that broke. causing the valve to hit the piston. pull the valve covers look at the retainers...

They did that. They said when it is up on the lift you can reallly feel it if you put your hand on the oil pan.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
DSS should cover it if it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's still under warranty. The motor is only a few months old. My problem is who's covering the labor. It's not A1's fault the motor blew up....so they are going to charge me labor...I just know they are. I still haven't heard from anyone yet so I'm not really sure how it's all gona work out.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a hold of A1. They had the block for a week and are sending photos to DSS. They said the #1 rod bearing was all sorts of chewed up. They also said it's a good thing that it's only one cylinder. This usually means it's an internal part issue and nothing A1 did wrong. I guess I'll know the final outcome in another week or so. This is sooo nerve wracking.

I bought another car to get me by!

My new 04 SVT 5 Door w/blue interior - Focus Fanatics

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.