Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been under a lotta auto rear ends. But, this is the first time I've seen this. It is a cast iron weight, held on to the differential by two 3/8" bolts and a stamped steel bracket. It appears to be a ?counter weight? It is approximately 11" long by 3" wide by 3" high.

What is its purpose?

G

·
I do believe you are talking about the "dogbone" as it is called. I think its purpose is for the counterweight with the stock gears and driveshaft. I have heard if u get aftermarket gears, lower ratio, u can do away with it and then i have heard to keep it. Honestly if i get my 4.30s and more people say to do away with it i will. Free weight loss!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just a technical point of view:

Since the "dogbone" is not attached to any kind of rotating part it can not have a counterweight propose.
How ever since the "dogbone" is attached through a rubber bushing, some kind of vibration caused by the rotation of the rear axle (forward / backward) can be dampened.
I have never spoken to a ford tech who could prove this, therefore it is only my suggestion.

By the way: The Ford Exploders do have the same thing Just not in the shape of a "dogbone"

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The description fits perfectly. It is dogbone shaped, and is mounted thru two rubber bushings.

My daughter found it to be hanging loose yesterday. One of the two flat washers had rotted away and the bolt fell thru the bushing. A little work, and I had the washer replaced and the "dogbone" back in place.....but not after a whole lotta thought into contemplating removing it entirely. Afterall, less weight should equal better performance. But then, Ford would not have put this extra item on the car if they didn't think it was necessary. Certainly isn't a safety item.

Great guesses so far for its purpose. Now if a definative response were to be posted, we'd all be happy.

For now, mine has been re-installed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think its called a mott brace, ?? anyway mines been off for a couple years but I have Ford Racing 3:73s and aluminum driveshaft. I haven't noticed any difference or problems

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
It is to dampen harmonics in the driveline. Throw it in the trash! :eyepoppin

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Tominator said:
Yeah , what he said lol .

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tominator said:
Well, certainly the next time I am under the rearend I will be removing it.

Guess it would be a sight to see if both washers disintergrated at the same time at high speed, and the "dogbone" went flying out the back of the Stang.

S'long as I don't throw it in the trash, I guess I can always put 'er back on if I don't like the ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.