Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked up to my car and I noticed this morning that someone keyed my car on the passenger side from one side all the way along the car. Who the hell would do such a thing? What is wrong with people?

Bah

How the hell do I go on fixing this? Or do I even stop bothering about it? I don't expect much from our society, but this is pretty low. I wish I caught who did it, would have been pretty. Do you think it's worth taking it to a place that can wax with with a buffer? I also have dr. color chip

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
WTF, dude. That sucks. Jesus.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yeah, that really sucks dude...It begs the question though; What did you do to instigate it? Did you cut someone off? Run them off the road? Ex-girlfriend maybe? While it is certainly possibly this was a random keying, it is more likely that thee is a motive.

B

·
0 Posts
It looks light enough that you may be able to use rubbing compound and a little elbow grease to substantially remove it, but I'm not sure if you'd get 100% of it. I think it's worth a try before taking it in. Just make sure you clean beforehand, then polish and wax after you're done rubbing it out. I use rubbing compound here and there on my cars for the minor stuff and it works miracles. Luckily I haven't had to use it on the mustang yet. I'm really sorry that happened to you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If I were you, before I did anything I would first ask a couple (free estimate) body shops and even ask your purchasing dealer. Sometimes dealers have in-house shops and may be willing to help you out. It may be able to rub out if you are lucky, maybe it will not be through the clear coat and may be able to be buffed out. If not, depending on the cost I would then call your insurance company and ask about costs, coverage and deductible.

B

·
0 Posts
Yeah, that really sucks dude...It begs the question though; What did you do to instigate it? Did you cut someone off? Run them off the road? Ex-girlfriend maybe? While it is certainly possibly this was a random keying, it is more likely that thee is a motive.
There doesn't have to be a motive, they can just be haters, punk kids, jealous people or just fatties trying to walk between two cars which happened to me once. I actually saw her dragging her body, purse and shopping bags between my car and hers. I was able to rub most of the scratch out though.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There doesn't have to be a motive, they can just be haters, punk kids, jealous people or just fatties trying to walk between two cars which happened to me once. I actually saw her dragging her body, purse and shopping bags between my car and hers. I was able to rub most of the scratch out though.
This. There was no motive. In my complex, I don't have issues. I parked last night in a different city, for school. I usually park in garage, but I saw a street parking. Bastards. It's a classy city too, but in every city, trash roams the streets.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I were you, before I did anything I would first ask a couple (free estimate) body shops and even ask your purchasing dealer. Sometimes dealers have in-house shops and may be willing to help you out. It may be able to rub out if you are lucky, maybe it will not be through the clear coat and may be able to be buffed out. If not, depending on the cost I would then call your insurance company and ask about costs, coverage and deductible.
Does it have to be a Ford body shop or any shop? I have a few pretty close by my place but they're not Ford.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone know of any good places in NOVA area?

Thanks guys.

B

·
0 Posts
A non-Ford place I know of that gets good reviews is "High Line" or "Fine Line" on Shirlington in Arlington. Not exactly sure where you are up there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Does it have to be a Ford body shop or any shop? I have a few pretty close by my place but they're not Ford.
Does not need to be a Ford shop. I had some light paint work done a couple of months ago by a local shop that came highly recommended. They did a great job. In fact, the panel and door they painted looks better than the other side -- perfect color match and no orange peel texture.

Depending on how picky you are about your car you might not be happy until you take it to a professional body shop. I'm extremely picky about taking care of my car...I don't even fart in it.

I've used Dr. ColorChip on my other cars. Had good results with paint chips, but not with scratches.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I'm not saying this to offend anyone so take this how it's intended.

Well meaning people will give suggestions of trying to buff it out, etc. Since you're asking here, chances are you're not experienced with bodywork. Your best bet then is to take it to a shop that specializes in scratch repair, DON'T MESS WITH IT until you do.

It's hard to tell the exact depth of the scratches from pictures on the internet, it might be able to be buffed out, but then again it might need a chip fill or a repaint; scouring away with a buffer can actually make it worse if its a chip fill because THEY will need to buff it after they fill it.

The scratch won't make your car won't rust out overnight; take the time to get it fixed correctly. IMO

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A non-Ford place I know of that gets good reviews is "High Line" or "Fine Line" on Shirlington in Arlington. Not exactly sure where you are up there.
Thank you. I will search for them and try it out.

I'm not saying this to offend anyone so take this how it's intended.

Well meaning people will give suggestions of trying to buff it out, etc. Since you're asking here, chances are you're not experienced with bodywork. Your best bet then is to take it to a shop that specializes in scratch repair, DON'T MESS WITH IT until you do.

It's hard to tell the exact depth of the scratches from pictures on the internet, it might be able to be buffed out, but then again it might need a chip fill or a repaint; scouring away with a buffer can actually make it worse if its a chip fill because THEY will need to buff it after they fill it.

The scratch won't make your car won't rust out overnight; take the time to get it fixed correctly. IMO

Agreed. I will probably take it to professionals. Just trying to see if someone is familiar with the process and any other dealers in NOVA area.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
That's terrible.

And I can't believe someone asked what you did to instigate this. You don't have to do anything these days, just be in the wrong place at the wrong time. You don't have to have a sporty car, or have anything especially expensive either, just a nice, clean, well kept up car seems to set some people off. A friend of mine got his 2010 Accord gouged front to back so deeply it required bodywork recently. His mistake... keeping his car clean and waxed.

It's damned sad.

Good luck getting it fixed up... +1 on getting it to a pro.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Wow. I'm so sorry. I completely agree with 412horses.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you're not able to get insurance/body shop to repair it, try Zaino polish for dark cars (either Z5 or Z2, I have trouble remembering their stupid naming system). I was able to polish out a light 3/4" long scratch on my trunk. Took a good amount of time and polish, but the scratch was blended in.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
really sorry to see that, man. this is just another reason why it is now an absolute must for any place i move in to have a private garage. it is also the reason why i take twice as long to find the "right" parking spot in shopping centers and refuse to park my car in a place where i cannot see it.

people call me paranoid and "it is just a car" and all that but i don't want to be one of those owners that in a few years their car is saturated with minor dings and scrapes. there will always be haters out there who do things for no reason at all.

i agree with some of the other people in taking the time to find the right body shop and get it taken care of properly and in a little while all of this will be behind you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I doubt it was a fatty since the height of the scratch changes, looks malicious but who knows. The large majority of people suck.

Take it to the pros...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Really sorry to see that man. Just goes more to point of the saying I have... "I hate people".
Even my 17 y/o says it now that she's getting out in the world now.

I definitely agree with everyone saying "let a pro look at it". Good luck.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.