Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Got a question. Put her sideways into a curb a while back. Not much damage but I did scratch up the left rear wheel:happyhapp . Bought a take off from E-bay. I began to sand out the scratches last night and believe it or not its coming out very good. Good enough that if the finishing goes well I will have a wheel that I would put back on the car if required. Heres the ? -- What kind of clear does Ford use on the wheels and can I get it? They are the GT Premium wheels.

Any help is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
clearcoat is clearcoat. Most manufacturers use PPG products I believe.

·
Registered
816 Posts
:thumbsup I agree. Just don't get the cheap stuff at Walmart. Go get the real thing at your local auto paint supply store. :wavey

·
Registered
200 Posts
Refinish wheels

Last winter did some restoration on some wheels for my other car. Tried a bunch of different brands. By far the best product I found was VHT products.
To remove scratches first you need to remove the clear coat. VHT Strip Fast Remover works great. (Be careful not to get it on the painted surface of the wheel.) After the clear coat is removed you can likely sand down the scratch. Clean with Mequires aluminum cleaner to prep the surface. Next spray with VHT (SP-184) Clearcoat. Likely sand with very fine sandpaper and recoat again. If you take your time you should never beable to tell it was ever damaged. Good Luck. If you need any of the VHT products,I have some left over that I did not need. Let me know if you would like them and I can send them to you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Cape. My uncle is a painter on the side. I asked him about the VHT products and he has some as well. I will give it a try and post back the results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.