Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if their is already a thread on this but what is preferred best oil for this 5.0 motor? it has Roller Rocker arms if that makes a difference? Is fully synthetic good for it?

·
Registered
552 Posts
i usually run the 5w-20 ford synthetic blend on my cars

ford recommends the 5w-20, and ill run it for one oil change and see how it hols up (leaks/burns) just to get an idea of how good the motor is and then ill run a full synthetic after that

the ford motor oil is 11.50$ for 5qts at walmart, so its cheap!

but on the 351 ive got i just run some 10-40 because its an older motor.. and i had Royal purple in it
but when i put the fram filter on it, it blew the oring and all 6 qts poured out the filter and i left a LONG trail of 35$ of oil all through my neighborhood

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I think he's asking about the 5.0L? If so 5W20 is too thin for that motor! I used to run Mobil 1 15W50 in my 89!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think he's asking about the 5.0L? If so 5W20 is too thin for that motor! I used to run Mobil 1 15W50 in my 89!

i ran that in my motor for a full 3k miles
ran real good with it i thought

then i stepped up to the Q full synthetic 10-30

hasnt leaked/burned a drop!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i think this motor is new cause under the valve covers is no build up and is all clean like a brand new motor. the oil in it now is clean and dont burn but has been siting in the motor for over a year without being drove.

Is just the regular 10w30 Valvoline good? or is Motorcraft Synthetic blend 10w30 better?

·
Registered
552 Posts
well i think this motor is new cause under the valve covers is no build up and is all clean like a brand new motor. the oil in it now is clean and dont burn but has been siting in the motor for over a year without being drove.

Is just the regular 10w30 Valvoline good? or is Motorcraft Synthetic blend 10w30 better?

shouldnt ever be build up under the valve covers..
doesnt mean its new, never had ANY under any of my cars

i would go get synthetic blend what ever you can find... brand name really doesnt matter in my honest opinion

they are all certified by the same people to the same specs..

just dont get super-tech :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i seen in my Hondas a lot of nasty build up. but what i mean is under my valve covers is all clean silver and royal blue rocker arms real nice you can tell its all new and motor runs great.

is sythetic blend good? I ran it in my Honda but this is a 5.0.

·
Registered
552 Posts
well i seen in my Hondas a lot of nasty build up. but what i mean is under my valve covers is all clean silver and royal blue rocker arms real nice you can tell its all new and motor runs great.

is sythetic blend good? I ran it in my Honda but this is a 5.0.
yea, synthetic blend is fine...

new rockers are 100$ or so, so he could of threw some 1.7s for a few extra HP and a little more wear
who knows if the motor is new, have is been bored? machine work or anything? new heads? new intake? new cam?

in the mustang world.. paperwork speaks, words are Bull....
in the honda world, bigger exhaust tip = more power :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the guy i bought it from didn't do the work the guy before him did. the guy i bought it from though it was the orignal motor and was old. i think it is camed and all rebuilt maybe bored i dunno.

The motor sounds like it has a small cam cause of the idle and throttle response compared to my buddys 5.0. Im not to sure and don't really care to tear the motor apart just to find whats in it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
well the guy i bought it from didn't do the work the guy before him did. the guy i bought it from though it was the orignal motor and was old. i think it is camed and all rebuilt maybe bored i dunno.

The motor sounds like it has a small cam cause of the idle and throttle response compared to my buddys 5.0. Im not to sure and don't really care to tear the motor apart just to find whats in it.

so yours is a stick?
is your buddys a automatic? just curious.. big difference if your comparin it to an auto

and what year is yours, what year is your buddys?

yours might be an a9l fox, and his might be s/d or have a a3m or something like that in it

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And the Honda I had was fully Built and most of it by me. and was no original ricer Honda. it dumped headers and no exhaust or nothing. I did a auto to 5spd swap and built a JDM motor for it. It ran 14.9's on its best day. which i dont think is bad at all. but this mustang i can tell right off the back it is faster than my Honda only if it had some grip though.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My buddys was a 94 auto with shift kit and mine is a stick shift 94. but my intake manifold is way bigger and mine has a BBK throtle body.

·
Registered
552 Posts
And the Honda I had was fully Built and most of it by me. and was no original ricer Honda. it dumped headers and no exhaust or nothing. I did a auto to 5spd swap and built a JDM motor for it. It ran 14.9's on its best day. which i dont think is bad at all. but this mustang i can tell right off the back it is faster than my Honda only if it had some grip though.

i owned a honda for 3 days :p
90 crx si paid 350$ for it and sold it for 800$

cleaned it up a lil, did a tune up.. full interior, warshed it.. someone got a deal for 800$ cuz it had a 5 inch tip (not joking)

14.9?
that when you wanted a mustang :p j/k man
im sure your car was nice :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes, your absolutely right after months of my work and lot of my money invested it all ran a TAD faster than my buddy stock auto 5.0 lol. he ran flat 15's.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
man, I dont know what Intake manifold it has i just know it looks tall and fat compared to my friends stock one and the throttle body on it say BBK performance. the intake mani don't have that plate that says 5.0 either.

So i have no clue what kind it is.

they installed a Tall hood for the taller intake mani also. the hood looks sick!

·
Registered
552 Posts
yes, your absolutely right after months of my work and lot of my money invested it all ran a TAD faster than my buddy stock auto 5.0 lol. he ran flat 15's.
flat 15s.... he must of got a turd my v6 would run that

hopefully you can get some heads on your car, and see what cam you have and match them all up.

since you had a honda im sure you want some low end power now, try and buy everything for the 2000 - 5500 rpm range and youll be happy

·
Registered
552 Posts
man, I dont know what Intake manifold it has i just know it looks tall and fat compared to my friends stock one and the throttle body on it say BBK performance. the intake mani don't have that plate that says 5.0 either.

So i have no clue what kind it is.

they installed a Tall hood for the taller intake mani also. the hood looks sick!

dang dude, post up pics!!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My friend says to put GT40 heads on it. I will look into all that as soon as i get some stock GT rims and all new tires and tags lol. but it has a lot of low end power compared to my Honda. My honda only made power in between 5500-8200RPM. the mustang seems to loose it after 5 or my buddys does and his makes the power around 3500-4000.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.