Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do a complete change of all my oils and fluids in my car this week b4 I take it out to the track again, and I was wondering what grade of oil do you use in your mustangs???? I think I have 5w 30 in there now.( and what do you think is the best)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
5W-30 is fine. Depending on how cold it gets in B.C. you could even go 0W-30. Any reputable synthetic oil is fine. It's more important to keep it changed regularly than whether it's brand A or B. I use Mobil 1. Never heard of one breaking because of it and it can be found readily at Walmart and such

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
well i was running 5w20 regular conventional motorcraft oil... no blend, no synthetic just regular 5w20 oil (not by choice though)... this was due to me not knowing what the dealer was putting in until i saw them :happyhapp needless to say the got an earful from me.

Now im running 5w20 Mobil 1 FULL synthetic the good stuff. Although I think since Motorcraft makes a full 5w20 synthetic I will just run that from now on... Ford reccomends 5w20 in the GT engine due to oil controlled VCT and have been fussy about engine problem under warranty if you cant proof that you've been using 5w20.... but to each there own.

My choice of oil on this car would be 5w20 Full synthetic Motorcraft oil cahnged every 8k kilometers (5k miles).... sooner if your bagging the **** out of the engine in that particular oil cycle or if your racing.

My previous Audi ran full synthetic and audi had the oil change intervals set at 12k kilometers.... I think 8k (not miles) is reasonable to change at with full synthetic in the GT motor... heck Ford themselves is recommending changing oil at 7500k now with their regular 5w20 oil on 2003 and newer motors.

hope this helps... and mind you this is my opinion on the matter.... and believe me there are many differing opinions on oil:so I am by no means an expert just someone that thinks if motors from the 70's, 80's era can last 300k on conventional oil with 5k intervals.... then we should be just fine!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I called Ford tech and they said 5-30 is ok if your doing open track. Its still a 5wt, acts like a 30wt when things get really hot.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Specs call for 5-20. I'd stick with that. The engine tolerances are very tight and running the correct oil is important.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Correct oil

Absolutely use the 5W-20 for some reason everybody sees the 5W-30 on the shelf and grabs it before finding the 5W-20. Operation of the variable cam and top end lube flow is very critical on this engine for both life and horsepower. Those engineers spent many a sleepless night in the dyno room trying to get the cam timing just right[ that's why even a radical stage 3 cam has little real effect on the power output [10% maybe] of this engine, the engine picks its own valve timing based on the sensors signals]. Please don't screw it up with the wrong oil and lose to a Chevy. It's bad enough we have Chevy 10-bolt axles.

Been using Mobil 1 for 20 years and haven't killed an engine yet. The Ford dealer here said the engine should only have semi rather than full synthetic[they only stocked Motorcraft Semi] until I showed him the Mobil 1 OEM and recommended replacement oil in the Shelby owner's manual.

Said it before, my dad has old motor journals from the 1930's, they were arguing about the "correct" oil then, and we always will be. Motor oil was invented to perpetuate the time honored BS of the old wives tale.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I just put in conventional 5W-20 (not semi or full synthetic) oil in yesterday. The engine is running GREAT... Much more responsive than before.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Absolutely use the 5W-20 for some reason everybody sees the 5W-30 on the shelf and grabs it before finding the 5W-20. Operation of the variable cam and top end lube flow is very critical on this engine for both life and horsepower. Those engineers spent many a sleepless night in the dyno room trying to get the cam timing just right[ that's why even a radical stage 3 cam has little real effect on the power output [10% maybe] of this engine, the engine picks its own valve timing based on the sensors signals]. Please don't screw it up with the wrong oil and lose to a Chevy. It's bad enough we have Chevy 10-bolt axles.

Been using Mobil 1 for 20 years and haven't killed an engine yet. The Ford dealer here said the engine should only have semi rather than full synthetic[they only stocked Motorcraft Semi] until I showed him the Mobil 1 OEM and recommended replacement oil in the Shelby owner's manual.

Said it before, my dad has old motor journals from the 1930's, they were arguing about the "correct" oil then, and we always will be. Motor oil was invented to perpetuate the time honored BS of the old wives tale.

Dude I loved your post... i woke up a couple hours ago and this made lmfao!:bigthumbsup

being a motorcycle person I highly believe in Full synthetic oils and have had good luck with them... Im gunna run 5w20 full synthetic motorcraft for this motors life changed every 5k miles with a k&n oil filter. end of story.

ON THAT NOTE..... STL i remember you talking about this drain bolt that you dont need to take off to drain the oil... you simply open some valve and the oil comes out.... taking away the possibility of stripping the threads away..... I tried and I tried to find the post but i couldnt.... what is that bolt company called?

thanks Mark.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I've been using Amsoil 0w20 for 25k with no problems. It's the best oil that you can put in your car.:gringreen

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I am 100% going with Royal Purple, now for what to use I believe that 5W30 will be the best in my car as i think 5W20 is a little thin(and it can get cold out here) I will call the ford performance department 2moro to see what they say. But I am confident that the 5w30 synthetic will work. Thanks for all the input guys:bigthumbsup helped alot. i am also going to get the royal purple transmission fluid to. i will let you all know how it goes this weekend at the track.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
well I am 100% going with Royal Purple, now for what to use I believe that 5W30 will be the best in my car as i think 5W20 is a little thin(and it can get cold out here) I will call the ford performance department 2moro to see what they say. But I am confident that the 5w30 synthetic will work. Thanks for all the input guys:bigthumbsup helped alot. i am also going to get the royal purple transmission fluid to. i will let you all know how it goes this weekend at the track.
Not a good choice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Y not??? everyone i know or have asked either use 5w 30 or the 5w 20.
5W-30 is recommended for V6 Mustangs, not GTs.

You should definitely run 5W-20.

Pick your poison... Conventional, Semi, and Full Synthetic oil will all work.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Not to take this discussion in a different direction, but someone mentioned that Shelby recommends full synthetic in their vehicles and I have also seen Carrol Shelby doing adds on the speed channel for Z-Max oil additive (says he uses it in all the cars they build) and I'm wondering if anyone else has used this additive and how that might effect cam timing. If there is one person in the automotive industry I respect and trust, it would be Mr Shelby but I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone that have actually used this product.

Opinions

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I am going to do a complete change of all my oils and fluids in my car this week b4 I take it out to the track again, and I was wondering what grade of oil do you use in your mustangs???? I think I have 5w 30 in there now.( and what do you think is the best)
Why would you change all of your fluids before you go to the track?:headscratch:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.