Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first mustang last month. It is an 05 v6 auto. I am still feeling the effects in the pocket book but was thinking of putting a little into performance. I was looking at getting a used tuner and installing that, then maybe next year doing a CAI. Would it be worthwhile to just start with a tuner.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I just got my first mustang last month. It is an 05 v6 auto. I am still feeling the effects in the pocket book but was thinking of putting a little into performance. I was looking at getting a used tuner and installing that, then maybe next year doing a CAI. Would it be worthwhile to just start with a tuner.
I personally would Save up if you need to and get the JLT CAI SCT Combo from AM with Free Tunes for Life. Yea you will notice a difference with just the Tuner, but adding the CAI will give you that added Boost of Preformance.
I waited almost 3 Years untill I added the JLT CAI and Tuner to My Stang and it was the Biggest Mistake I ever made (one of em anyways:gringreen) My Stang went from a Low Throttle Responding. Sluggish Shifting Granny Car to a Instant Throttle Responce, Fast Firm Shifting Stang that it should be. You wont believe what a difference it's gonna make untill you actually Install everything and download a 93 Octane Race Tune and go for a ride, you'll be like Wholy Shi%. I cant say anymore but like me and many others on here it's by far the First and Best Mod you should do to your V6. And Dont Scrimp on getting a 91 Octane Tune unless that's the best Octane Gas you can get, get ALL 93 Octane Tunes, there by far better than 91. And I've said it a Million Times, using 93 Octane Gas is only mabey $4 a Tankfull more to fill up with than 87 Octane, and you'll get Better Gas Mileage too, as long as you dont floor it at every GO:gringreen
Do Yurself a favor and Save Up for the JLT CAI SCT Combo if you cant afford it now, because you WILL add the CAI eventually once you've bought the Tuner, then you'll ADD Duals, for the LOOKS and SOUND. I did the JLT CAI SCT Tuner Combo and Dual Exhaust for about $1000.00 . That's the Best Money I ever Spent for the Biggest :D I ever had.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 2006 v6 pony package and I went the same route as fordlover, getting the JLT CAI and SCT tuner with 3 custom tunes from BAMA. It's an easy setup for anyone. I had all the right parts to install thanks to my dad having a woodworking hobby. I've never installed a cai before and it took me an hour to do it today (In the sun at 100 degrees here in texas). Probably would have been a lot faster if I was able to print the instructions to be able to bring them with me but my printer was not responding.

The tuner is very easy all you have to do is plug it in and let it get to work.

It's made a HUGE difference in my car's performance. I loaded up the 91 race tune but I'm getting all (or at least 2) of my tunes bumped up to 93 because I thought the highest octane available here was 91 but it turned out to be 93. I'm probably going to keep an 87 tune for safety in case I don't have the gas or the cash available for 93. It costs only a few dollars more when filling up but I'm telling you it will be worth it. The sound it makes is great too.

My car peels out, then barks when shifting 1st to 2nd and again when going into 3rd at about 60 mph. There was too much traffic to go for 4th gear but it definitely pulls much harder, with greatly increased throttle response, and much firmer shift points. It's my daily driver and is not uncomfortable, but you will have to learn to drive it all over. Oh and by the way, if you decide to get it, tell me how long it took you to wipe that big grin off your face the first time you took it for a spin!:gringreen

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
welcome to the forums :) those guys pretty much covered it. the thing with a used tuner is you dont get sct support, and these tuners mess up once in a while, and you wont get any tunes, that could cost some heavy cash, and you wont get the nice performance without a good cai and tune. really better off to just wait till you can get the combo.:rockon:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I have a 2006 v6 pony package and I went the same route as fordlover, getting the JLT CAI and SCT tuner with 3 custom tunes from BAMA. It's an easy setup for anyone. I had all the right parts to install thanks to my dad having a woodworking hobby. I've never installed a cai before and it took me an hour to do it today (In the sun at 100 degrees here in texas). Probably would have been a lot faster if I was able to print the instructions to be able to bring them with me but my printer was not responding.

The tuner is very easy all you have to do is plug it in and let it get to work.

It's made a HUGE difference in my car's performance. I loaded up the 91 race tune but I'm getting all (or at least 2) of my tunes bumped up to 93 because I thought the highest octane available here was 91 but it turned out to be 93. I'm probably going to keep an 87 tune for safety in case I don't have the gas or the cash available for 93. It costs only a few dollars more when filling up but I'm telling you it will be worth it. The sound it makes is great too.

My car peels out, then barks when shifting 1st to 2nd and again when going into 3rd at about 60 mph. There was too much traffic to go for 4th gear but it definitely pulls much harder, with greatly increased throttle response, and much firmer shift points. It's my daily driver and is not uncomfortable, but you will have to learn to drive it all over. Oh and by the way, if you decide to get it, tell me how long it took you to wipe that big grin off your face the first time you took it for a spin!:gringreen
Sounds like your very Pleased:bigthumbsup but again, 93 Octane Gas is only about $4 a Tankfull more to fill up with than 87, and using 93 will give you the same gas Mileage as 87 as long as you can keep your foot out of it:gringreen
Plus when you switch Tunes from 93 to 87 and then back to 93 you'll have to run at least a quarter to a half a tankfull of 93 Octane Gas back through your Stang befor you load your 93 Octane Tune again, so it's even MORE costly to change Octane and Tunes this way then to just stay with a 93 Octane Tune. For the extra $4 a Tankfull your Gaining Everything and Losing more by just staying with 93 then going to 87 and back to 93, stay with 93:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
welcome to the forums :) those guys pretty much covered it. the thing with a used tuner is you dont get sct support, and these tuners mess up once in a while, and you wont get any tunes, that could cost some heavy cash, and you wont get the nice performance without a good cai and tune. really better off to just wait till you can get the combo.:rockon:
OK, I MIssed that one......a used Tuner........No. It'll cost you $150 or more from SCT to get the Tuner Un-Locked so you can use it on Your Stang,,,,,NOT a GOOD Deal (Thank's Mike for Pointing this out:gringreen) Yea you WONT get your FREE Tunes for life Buying a Used Tuner and it'll Cost you to get the Tuner Un-Locked from SCT so you can use it on Your Stang. Everything else I said is True though:winks BUT DONT Drink and Respond to Post on the Forum while having a few Jack and Cokes, you may Miss things like I did:gringreen SORRY I found out tonight My Daughters going to get Proposed to and Get Married, My Bad:bigthumbsup
The BEST DEAL you can get for your Money is to buy the JLT CAI SCT Tuner Combo from AM wwith the FREE Tunes for life. It's the Only Deal and the Best Deal, and that's all Im gonna say about that:winks

·
Registered
344 Posts
3 years ago I went a different route and got the K&N CAI and a Diablo Preditor tuner. It came with a 93 octane tune for my K&N and included the firm shift option. the improvement was very noticeable and like most have said turned the V6 into a very responsive machine, especially the firm shift option. I took it one step further and when the cost of gas took a sharp hike I backed off the global timing 6 degrees so I could use 87 octane gas. I did loose some preformance, but not much.

Back then the JLT and SCT combo wasn't around, and it sure didn't come with the free for life Bama tunes. That is the way to go today. They can address all your preformance needs that way.
Good luck and enjoy your mustang.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Ron ( #1 Fordlover ) is a believer now too that he has a CAI and a performance tune, he didnt know what he was missing, he does now :gringreen Great to have you with us, The difference really is amazing , good luck with your mods :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
As everyone has said, stay away from the used SCT. If it's unlocked I guess it would be worth it if the price was $100 bucks or less. If not you'd have to pay for the tuner, $150 for an SCT unlock, and another $150 for Bama tunes for life.

As for the performance gains. They are nice, but there is so much more to it than just quicker acceleration IMO. Especially with you auto-trans. You will love the shifting and barking the tires as you switch gears. Puts a smile on my face everytime I get that nice squeal into 3rd and most times 4th @ 82mph.

I'd highly recommend American Muscle and Bama tunes. Took mine to a dyno and it was great. Dyno tuner said he couldn't have done any better and wouldn't really change anything and told me to save my money when I asked if I should have him dyno tune it.

As for the cai, it's more of a personal preference, but I also like the JLT. It is a tune required cai and it's cheap, and it dyno'd the biggest power gains (on the gt anyway).

Get the tuner! You wont believe you're driving the same car. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
403 Posts
Agree with others...wait until you can get both with Tune for Life. My 2009 v6 with the performance 91 tune is like a different car. I had to take it off recently for a tune-up and the difference hits you IMMEDIATELY. More than worth the money!

BTW: I have duel exhaust and that helps a little, but more money again...it never ends! What is cool is that if you add duel exhaust later, you can get free upgrade tunes if you buy form AM.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I want to get the tuner but I already have a generic brand cai that works real good but do u all think It will give me problems with the tuner? and also another random question what if u are running a tune that requires 87 or 89 gas but you pump 93 wipl it mess up the car??

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I want to get the tuner but I already have a generic brand cai that works real good but do u all think It will give me problems with the tuner? and also another random question what if u are running a tune that requires 87 or 89 gas but you pump 93 wipl it mess up the car??
As for your (Generic CAI) it all depends on what Brand it is as how it will coinside with the Tuner, some CAI's are good, some ar'nt. The top 2 CAI's are C&L or a JLT, for the Money and just as good as a C&L I'd go with a JLT. That being said I would also go with the JLT CAI SCT X3 Tuner Combo from AM and also get Free Tunes for Life. It's a Proven Preformer and a Great Set-Up:bigthumbsup
As for wich Gas you use with a Tune, you CAN use a Higher Octane Gas with a Lesser Octane Tune, so if you use 93 with a 87 or 89 Tune the only thing you'll mess up is your Wallet:gringreen you'll just be throwing money out the Window.
Now You CANT use a Lesser Octane Gas with a Higher Octane Tune, say you have a 93 Octane Tune you Cant use 87 0r 89 with it, you'll get Pinging as the Octane Level wont be there for it to run right.
Hope this Helped:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
403 Posts
+1
You can call the guys at AM and tell them which CAI you have. They will let you know if they have or can write tunes for it. Odds are not, b/c your CAI runs with no special tune right now, but worth a try. The combo is well worth it:bigthumbsup Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts