Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 90 notchback 306. my question is i have gt40p heads. i have not purchased a set of plus for the motor yet =/..(i just finished pputting her back together). now what i dont understand is when i ask for plugs from an auto store do i ask for an explorer plug? since gt40p's didnt come in mustangs.what should i run in these heads..im an all motor gut with a compression ratio 10 5 1 ..please help me out. another question i have is how do i prime my oil pick up? do i take a cordless drill to my rotor bolt on the distributer,and pop off a valve cover?how can i make sure she's pumping up oil?..any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Personally, I like Autolites or Motorcrafts. No platinum garbage. It's kind of a pain because usually they have to order the standard plugs. And yes, ask for them for the Explorer. I had that problem with my non-p heads. It took me about a minute to figure out why my plugs wouldn't work. :dunce:
As far as priming the oil pump, a must do on a fresh build. The standard way to do this is take off the distributor and get a special shaft to hook to a drill and turn the pump, I think the "priming shafts" are available from autozone. Take care, because when I tried to use my 3/8 Dewalt drill it started smoking :D I borrowed a 1/2 drill, that worked. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should i pop off a valve cover? if properly done correctly will i see oil? im new to this so im ike ahhhh.haha. and as for the plugs what year explorer?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
should i pop off a valve cover? if properly done correctly will i see oil? im new to this so im ike ahhhh.haha. and as for the plugs what year explorer?
Yep, that is the proper way to do it, wait until you see oil coming out of the rockers.
What year did the heads come off of? Or do you have the casting number?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
id have to look but im not sure rite off the top of my head. =/ im just really hoping i did all of this correctly

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If I remember correctly, you can use plugs for a 98 Explorer.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
autolite 104 or 764..
(both are the same..1 is threaded halfway,the other has full threads..either one works..i think i have 104's in my P heads..gap them soemwhere between .045-.050 depending on your ignition setup...045 for stock..050 for aftermarket...:bigthumbsup

just the standard copper core

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.