Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all you fellow GT500 owners! Just curious as to what kind of oil everyone uses and how often you change it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Castrol 5/50 full synthetic. 5,000 miles (although I couldn't resist a "break-in" oil change at 1,200 miles).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sticking with Motorcraft for first few thousand miles. I too am doing the 1200 mile break-in change soon (when it's back from the Tremec fix :( )

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took mine to Ford and I'm keeping all the service records. If anything goes wrong, they are on the hook for it not me. They probably use Motorcraft 5W-50 synthetic. I've read others who use different 5W-50 and I'm sure that is okay doubt I'll have oil related engine failure if left in stock configuration.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just changed mine after about 4k miles with 6.5 quarts of Redline 5w-50 and a Motorcraft FL-820S filter. I didn't feel the premium Ford charged for the Motorcraft oil was worth it! By using the Redline oil, Motorcraft filter, and changing it myself, the cost was just about $100, versus $150+ by buying the Ford oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everybody. I'm a new member. I've owned a 2012 GT/CS for about a year and i'm ready to trade it for a Shelby. My question is if I can use 5W30 instead of 5W50 oil for better gas mileage when I buy the Shelby. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello everybody. I'm a new member. I've owned a 2012 GT/CS for about a year and i'm ready to trade it for a Shelby. My question is if I can use 5W30 instead of 5W50 oil for better gas mileage when I buy the Shelby. Thanks.

There are some guys on another site running Amsoil 10w-30 with great success ( samples sent for analysis). But they have upgraded heat exchangers and a cooler thermostat. I next season will try Amsoil 10w-40. There were great reports from the used oil analysis of that weight also with a stock engine. (No mods).

·
Registered
297 Posts
according to my research, the ONLY motor oil up to wss-m2c931-b specs is Motorcraft,

I would like to reduce my oil change bill to something more manageable as well, but i dont want my motor to suffer.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Motorcraft oil is junk, sheers to a 30 weight oil after 2,000 miles. If you don't have a concern with warranty, get something better.

I run Amsoil 10w-40 in mine with an amsoil EAO11 filter. Change it every 6k miles or so. This oil offers WAY better protection than the motorcrap oil.

·
Registered
490 Posts
anyone run Royal Purple? where can i get this Redline oil? im a new GT500 owner...

·
Registered
490 Posts
NVM.. ha

im gonna get Redline online, anyone change they viscosity when using the 170 deg thermostat?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
NVM.. ha

im gonna get Redline online, anyone change they viscosity when using the 170 deg thermostat?
10w-40 is the thinnest you can run with the stock thermostat, 5w-30 is the thinnest you can run with the 170.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm gonna run redline 5w-50 and I'm not sure if I'm going to the 170° stat..
I live in northen men so our summers arnt that hot... but if it helps reduce heat soak either way then I'm in!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use the ford recommended 5w-50 motorcraft and have never had a problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I would go with what Ford recommends so I agree with this and or the:

*Quaker State Ultimate Durability SAE 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil.

Motorcraft brand is a really great oil, it has never given me issues and I even know some GM buddies of mine that admitted to me they use it in their cars sometimes. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are concerned about the difference in gas mileage between running 5W-30 and 5W-50, you might want to reconsider getting the Shelby. I wasn't able to get 5W-50 last change so I used Amsoil 5W-30 10,000 mile synthetic. I have not noticed much difference in gas mileage, engine temp, or oil pressure from the Motorcraft 5W-50 it had before. The Amsoil seems fine, but I'm going back to 5W-50 next change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts