Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have the magnetic balckout panel and i like it other than the fact of taking it off every time i wash my car and then the water that stores up in the fake gas cap and runs down the trunk lid and pours into the trunk

so i ask u guys what kind of blackout panel do u have and how is it when u wash ur cars?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
five years ago when i bought my car i paid 30 bucks for a black 3M vinyl graphic off of ebay. was cut near perfect, had hole for gas cap, installed in about 20 minutes with a dishsoap/ water mix. Fine tuned it with exacto knife once installed and dryed, still looks as good as the day i put it on. there are still some for sale on ebay. when it looks like crap i think im just gonna take it to the paint shop and have them paint it. dont want honeycomb or any of that plastic junk. doesnt look as good to me. smooth vinyl or paint is only way to go.:bigthumbsup

tungsten grey looks sick with the black out dont it!!!:yup:

oh, as far as car wash, it will leave those pesky white spots when it drys, but i just take a soft paper towel and a little windex and wipe it, or grab the shammy. it looks good after that.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I too have the magnetic one only because I didn't want to take the time to have to apply vinyl and cut my stripes that are one there now. The only thing I don't like about it is how easily dirt stays on it compared to the rest of the car. If you have the time and effort I'd change to the vinyl. I think the smooth vinyl looks good.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Scott Drake blackout panel. Its plastic and attaches with double sided tape. You have to remove the faux gas cap to install. Someone had put a big GT500 Cobra faux gas cap on mine so it was not a big deal to remove when I installed the Drake piece. I really like it though, with the rear taillight blackout trim it ties the rear together nicely.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm one of those plastic blackout panel guys others scoff at. started with the '06 GT and really liked the look.

now have one on the 2010 GT, had to do something on that ugly rear-end... according to most opinions.

both are easy to maintain, and shine up nicely.

i rarely wash my Mustangs with soap and water,(Griots Garage speed shine and a microfiber cloth is about all i use unless it rains on it.) but mine don't seem to hold much water behind them.

plus i did not like the faux gas cap much, would probably leave it on a GT500 though!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the magnetic panel and I have never taken it off, even for washes. Never knew I was supposed to. It gets a bit dirty but other than that, I have never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had the magnetic one but replaced it with the SHR. Like it a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you have the time and effort I'd change to the vinyl. I think the smooth vinyl looks good.
Vinyl in flat black works great for me. I just hit it with a little armor-all after its wash and it looks great.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I say get the vinyl. I'm not a big fan on the plastic blackout panel, although turks looks good on his stang.

Vinyl in flat black works great for me. I just hit it with a little armor-all after its wash and it looks great.
^^ I didn't really think about flat black lol

·
Registered
882 Posts
I removed my vinyl matte black that I bought from BSM (25+shipping) because I was installing stripes. Fast forward to me failing, I ordered another vinyl matte black, this time from ebay (14.99 free shipping). I actually like the ebay one better, it was cheaper and same quality as BSM. The car looks like it came stock when vinyl is installed. The install is pretty easy too because the water can escape from both the sides as well as the faux gas cap hole cut out....Oh and every Vinyl blackout I order always has a great hole cut out where there is NO paint ring.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
so i have the magnetic balckout panel and i like it other than the fact of taking it off every time i wash my car and then the water that stores up in the fake gas cap and runs down the trunk lid and pours into the trunk

so i ask u guys what kind of blackout panel do u have and how is it when u wash ur cars?
I have an extra gloss black if you want it cheap pm me, I went with flat black.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts