Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I’m wondering what should I do for maintenance since I just hit 80,000 on my mustang? For a brief background I’ve been doing my own oil changes every 5,000 miles. I make sure all my levels are always topped off to the correct measure. I use this car on the daily but I don’t abuse it. Only things I’ve had replaced were : a serpentine belt, water pump, rotors/brake (upgraded to a better braking system) & air filter. Any advice or tips would be appreciated !

·
Super Moderator
4,445 Posts
Welcome @Vvs and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
The oem maintenance frequency chart is very good, but, here is what I have always done on every vehicle i have ever owned......

Engine Management System
• 100,000 Miles Oxygen Sensor Replace

Electronic Fuel Injection System
• Annual Throttle Body & Assembly Inspect, Clean & Lubricate as Necessary
• 6 Months Fuel Injectors Add BG Brand Fuel Injector Cleaner to Fuel Tank
• 30,000 Miles Fuel Filter Replace

Fuel Lines
• 5 Years Non-EFI Rubber Replace

Cooling System
• Annual Anode/Cathodic Protection Inspect
• 5 Years Radiator Drain & Flush System
• 5 Years Hoses Replace

Power Steering
• 5 Years Hoses Inspect & Replace as Necessary
• 30,000 Miles Fluid Drain & Refill

Belts
• 4 Years V-Drive Replace
• 5 Years Serpentine Replace

Transmission
• 30,000 Miles Automatic Transmission Fluid Drain & Refill
• 30,000 Miles Automatic Transmission Filter Replace as Necessary
• 30,000 Miles Stick with Automatic Type Fluid Drain & Refill

Differential
• 30,000 Miles Fluid Drain & Refill

Brakes & Assemblies
• Annual Drums, Rotors & Linings Surface Sand, Degrease, Inspect & Replace as Necessary
• Annual Drum Brake Springs Inspect/Replace
• Annual Fluid- Silicone Type Bleed System
• 3 Years Fluid- Conventional Type Bleed System
• 30,000 Miles Wheel Bearings Inspect, Clean & Repack (your car has sealed bearings that are non-serviceable)

Wheels/Tires
• 6 Months Tires Rotate

Not to drag on, but the cooling system I also take a different approach on other than just drain/flush/fill and let me explain in much more detail....

IMHO,

1. Nothing substitutes a periodic flush of the radiator

2. When I drain the coolant, I place a doubled up paper towel over the funnel which filters to less than 3 microns (much better then any of the inline filters)- in terms of contaminants, the coolant is now as clean as when it came out of the original bottle. Provided it meets all the other test I do, it is reinstalled in the vehicle.

3. I have installed a magnesium anode in all overflows (same electrolysis protection used per code for all underground tanks)- Zinc anodes are available as well (JC Whitney, etc.) specifically for automotive applications and sell for about $6- they attract all the nasty stuff that destroys radiators, pumps, hoses etc and they become the sacrificial lamb- and keeps the ph of the fluid neutral. The inside of my cooling system and related components is spotless- literally!

4. I check the ph (using a swimming pool kit) - and check the alcohol content using a conventional coolant bulb type test device ($10 at any parts store)

the results.....

1. Contaminant production is eliminated by 90%+ as a result of the neutral ph maintenance

2. Contaminants that are produced are contained outside of the system flow, in the overflow at the anode. At this point I have less contaminant in my system than if I used an inline filter because we have eliminated 90% of the production and contained the residual.

3. With the paper towel, I can actually see the residual system contaminants (which you can typically count) and by most accounts visually know if a potential problem exist by the type and color of the products. The coolant is as clean as if I had opened a fresh container.

4. The system is clean and performance level known.

My personal results...

My father (an ol salt flats racer & aerospace engineer) starting this in the 1950's and typically the conventional coolant lasts 10-20 years in the vehicle before requiring replacement. Prestone did a test for longitivity on coolant long before the extended requirement came to be.....at 13 years they stopped the test because there was no degradation.

I cannot remember repairing a radiator or heat exchanger or water pump during my 50+ years on this earth on any of my family's vehicles- (I take that back, I replaced 2 water pumps on my 1990 F150 when due to a pulley tension/alignment problem it ate two bearings/seals, my fault as I didn't check it the 1st time, but at 80,000 miles I was not too surprised to see a leak from the water pump bearing). We typically keep our vehicles for 10+ years.

Hope this helps................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts