Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is just an opinion but in my book it consists of a killer paint, nice wheels, clean complete interior, flashy and clean engine compartment... um im probobly forgetting stuff.but thats the basics

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AFM! There are many different categories in shows so you need to pick one that fits the car. Concours means factory condition. They'll also have street driven and other categories. If yours is nearly mint in stock condition with ZERO modifications you might think about concours. Essentially though in any category the car will get more points for being absolutely spotless inside and out. Don't forget hidden areas and things like door jambs, etc. Go over it with a fine toothed comb. Really though what I've gotten out of shows the most is just learning about stangs in general and meeting cool people. Our 96GT is a first place trophy winner in the daily driven category and we have a lot of fun with it. Hope that helps!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have brought my 1970 mustang convertible to only one car show every year and it's held locally.I brought it there as a barn find first; then stripped; then in primer;After paint the day before the show I was in an accident with it.I still brought it to the show.It made for a lot of conversation.I have yet to bring home a trophy.But Im not quite interested in that any way; I just like people gawking at my car no matter what state It's in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have got alot of comments on my car which put in play my want to show it i think it would be cool just to be able to put it beside other show cars if nothing else...BRAGGING RIGHTS:winks

·
Registered
417 Posts
If your going to a car show to win trophies then your going for the wrong reason. Car shows are a great place to meet and talk to people about cars all kinds of cars you wil be surprised about some of the questions people will ask about your car so study up.
To prep your car for a show clean, clean and clean some more A fresh coat of wax or two clean under the hood -clean under trunk -clean wheel wells clean the engine and engine compartment- door jams -grill work -tire shine tires - clean windows inside and out - no junk inside car clean carpet and dash some even clean the underside of there cars . But the most important thing is to go and have fun spending a day talking with people that just love cars now go have fun

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
As a judge at car shows, I can tell you what we look for.

DETAIL. That means getting every speck of dust/dirt/grime/dead grass out of/off of the car. Those stuck between the door weatherstripping and the door jam is very common to overlook. Then go over the engine and get everywhere you can possibly reach cleaned. Between and around the intake bolts is very common to overlook.

Clean your windows. You wouldn't believe how many people come in, clean the car, but have nasty smeared/streaked glass.

Clean your AC vents.

Shampoo and vacuum your carpet and mats. The shampoo will restore the color and vacuuming will freshen them up. If they're matted, that's a no no.

Clean your wheels. Too many drive in and have waterspots all over them.

Good paint is alright but if you want it to POP, get out there and color sand the entire car, then hit it with a buffer and polishing compound, then clay bar it, then use a good wax. This gets the orange peel off and gives it that wet look that everyone wants. Makes a HUGE difference in show points. Takes all weekend, but it's worth it. Just be ultra careful when sanding, take off too much and go through the clearcoat and you'll be getting that part repainted. If you don't want to risk that, skip it and use a rubbing compound instead, followed by the rest of the routine.

Finally, DETAILS. You cannot be too detailed when showing your car. Nothing is too small, nothing is unimportant, nothing is worth skipping if you really want to show it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you don't care about the trophies just clean it up. Drive it to the show and have fun. i see lots of people that have bone stock cars join in. Just don't go with mud all over your tires and such, some people amaze me lol:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Cleanliness is first and foremost. Get the oxidation of the aluminum cast parts.

As stated about a lot depends on which class you are entering. Just realize that the trophy winners on the older generation cars usually have a lot of money invested to get it that way.

A bone stock car is a real plus. Replace any cracking weatherstripping, etc. Give it a good wax and wash inside and out.

The best way to explain a great car is, "you know it when you see it." Having been to many car shows as a spectator it amazes me who much effort some of these guys put into near flawless paint jobs and underhood details.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I met a guy with a 85gt that won several trophies for his stock car. The engine department was completely spotless. He put the round carb air-filter cover on a drill and used a scotch pad to add a brush like finish. He also got the original window stickers printed up.Plus the rest of the car was like new.Everything kept ford.He also got the original pony rims new from ford. 225 each

·
Registered
23 Posts
As a judge at car shows, I can tell you what we look for.

DETAIL. That means getting every speck of dust/dirt/grime/dead grass out of/off of the car. Those stuck between the door weatherstripping and the door jam is very common to overlook. Then go over the engine and get everywhere you can possibly reach cleaned. Between and around the intake bolts is very common to overlook.

Clean your windows. You wouldn't believe how many people come in, clean the car, but have nasty smeared/streaked glass.

Clean your AC vents.

Shampoo and vacuum your carpet and mats. The shampoo will restore the color and vacuuming will freshen them up. If they're matted, that's a no no.

Clean your wheels. Too many drive in and have waterspots all over them.

Good paint is alright but if you want it to POP, get out there and color sand the entire car, then hit it with a buffer and polishing compound, then clay bar it, then use a good wax. This gets the orange peel off and gives it that wet look that everyone wants. Makes a HUGE difference in show points. Takes all weekend, but it's worth it. Just be ultra careful when sanding, take off too much and go through the clearcoat and you'll be getting that part repainted. If you don't want to risk that, skip it and use a rubbing compound instead, followed by the rest of the routine.

Finally, DETAILS. You cannot be too detailed when showing your car. Nothing is too small, nothing is unimportant, nothing is worth skipping if you really want to show it.
hey you solved the problem of mustangli, but you really a judge of car show.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts