Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well one used gt I'm looking at has 48k miles, which is higher then I wanted, but I'm still considering it. My question, do the gts typically have any nonroutine troubles above 50k? Also, I do want to supercharge down the road, so are there any problems that are more likely at higher mileages? Those that have supercharged, what mileage have you supercharged at? Finally, is there anything else I need to know before buying a gt? Thanks:bigthumbsup

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I was well over 50k when I added mine. Not that my car has been the picture of health lately but no major malfunctions.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was well over 50k when I added mine. Not that my car has been the picture of health lately but no major malfunctions.
Well you've probably replaced every part of that engine, so I'm sure no one part had all 50k on it.:hihi: I figured it wouldn't be a problem, just am a little restless trying to buy a used car. I wish I could find a new one I liked or someone would just give me a car.:happyhapp

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Well you've probably replaced every part of that engine, so I'm sure no one part had all 50k on it.:hihi: I figured it wouldn't be a problem, just am a little restless trying to buy a used car. I wish I could find a new one I liked or someone would just give me a car.:happyhapp
Good point. I forged the engine with about 25k on the clock so maybe mine isn't a good example. Still, 50k is not high mileage for a stock motor (unless someone reeally beat on it).

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
You will be fine. Back in the day we were taking 120,000 mile 302's, throwig heads, intake, cams and 150+ shots of NOS at them with hardly a problem. Sure we broke some bottom ends but 500+hp through a 120K motor that was designed a million years ago was impressive.

And the 4.6 lower ends, specificaly the blocks/crank are far better than 302 stuff.

Chuck that blower on there, you will be fine.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The 4.6L 3 valve motor, is actually a pretty strong motor and will make some serious power. But for the mileage, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to supercharge the motor, the only thing you ever have to worry about is the tune. Just make sure the tune is right, after you do it dyno tune it to be sure and don't forget to go one step colder with your plugs. You'll be fine, don't worry enjoy it, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
put the supercharger on mine at 30,000 miles, now have 48,000 miles on it, car's running great.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Where are you searching

Where are you searching for a GT ? If you haven't you should try Autotrader. You can really refine your search there down to color if you want to. Do a search without a distance limit, what you want to pay and I'm sure you'll find something close to what you want.
A little travel to get the car you want is nothing, the dealer I bought mine from paid the plane ticket

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
The 4.6L 3 valve motor, is actually a pretty strong motor and will make some serious power. But for the mileage, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to supercharge the motor, the only thing you ever have to worry about is the tune. Just make sure the tune is right, after you do it dyno tune it to be sure and don't forget to go one step colder with your plugs. You'll be fine, don't worry enjoy it, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup
Can you repeat that I can't quite hear you.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I added a SC to my 05GT with 55K miles on it and so far in 5K no issues (car is a daily driver). As noted earlier, as long as the tune is good you should be good to go.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Added my SC with about 47k miles on it.

·
Banned
696 Posts
Took the car through 50K with the turbo on it, still runs like it did when we pulled it off the rollers. Which was how it's always run.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put my Vortech V3 Supercharger on my car at 73,500 miles and no problems so far! Runs clean and pulls extremely strong... Most people can't believe I have the many miles when they see the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.