Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm 15 and I'm new to the forums and cars in general. noob.gif

Anyway, my parents agreed to getting me a used V6 mustang as my first car, as long as they will be able to govern the speed to 75 MPH for the first year. With that being said, what year Mustang models have the speed governor? Do all base models have the governer or is it exclusive to special versions? And finally, are there any after market speed governors we can purchase? Thanks.

Hope you all had a good Christmas, have a good evening!

PS: I want to get a manual, but if the car needs to be automatic that is fine aswell.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
No car will have a speed govenor at 75mph. My car had a governor at 110mph. Its called self control to not go over 75mph. I know I dont have it. Plus go automatic. Less likely to not speed because 75 on an automatic is about 3200 and that will burn gas at an amazing rate.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Some drag racers use a throttle stop to slow their cars down at a specific rpm so they don't go over a specific time....I guess that is about as close to a governor that I am aware of....I agree with the above statement about self control....You cannot give in to peer pressure from friends and stay within the parameters you have been given...Good luck!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
An "aftermarket governor" could be a chip or a custom flash tune with a different speed setting.... if they computer has that function? If not then you could definitely do the same thing by setting the rev limiter way down.

I'm not aware of any later model cars with a top speed of 75. Maybe a gutless wonder like a Geo/Chevy metro might have a top speed of 90.... can't remember.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its called self control to not go over 75mph.
I'm not concerned about myself speeding on public roads, I have fairly good self control. It's just my dad was a crazy driver as a teenager and almost killed other people in car accidents, so he always has the image of me doing the same thing in the back of his mind.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
You know how those progressive commercials advertise that snapshot thing that monitors your driving habits? perhaps look for something to monitor your speed and such instead of a governor.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Man thats weak. My dad is ashamed of me not hot roding my v6 like he use to do with his 89 gt. He is honestly surprised I dont street race nor run from the cops like he use to do. Im 17 by the way. So if your parents want a governor of 75 mph then that will be hard to come by in any car. Honestly the car governs it self when it comes to anything above 70mph. About 60-65mph is even a good cruising speed but barely. Like I said go with automatic. A lot easier to drive when it comes to around town. I "have" a 2000 GT and when I had to fix an issue with the clutch cable I drove it around for about a week and a half I think and I was miserable. Everyone wanted to try to race me because you have to rev up slightly for take off.. plus the manual kind of taunted me with wanting to speed, race and drop the clutch.. you know the normal thing. Also another thing to think about.. for you and your parents is the insurance. Since a mustang is considered a "sports car" the rates are higher, not to mention you are male I am assuming. For me, liability only, is about 160 a month. Plus gas... oh man does my car love its gas like I mentioned earlier. Use to be $40 every two weeks when gas was about $3.50 or so. Roughly my car gets 16mpg if im lucky, about 200 miles a tank. Good luck with the car issue though. Love to add a new member to the V6 club!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Just tell your parents to have a GPS tracker installed, they can look up your whereabouts and speed and such any time they like it.

I would simply remove the car from your hands if I caught you doing anything stupid. If you want total authority over your own life then move into your own home.

I was a jackass when I was young and did alot of stupid stuff that if I catch my kids doing it they will be under house arrest and I am a nasty warden.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses guys, the GPS idea seems like it would be a good alternative to the speed governor.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Just buy a 94-95 v6, they barely get out of their own way...Im driving one now and it's a joke...I couldn't hot rod it if I wanted to.

In all seriouseness, you could try a chip/tuner and have the tuner limit the speed or rev-limiter...the GPS thing would be a good idea...

I'm not against what your parents are trying to do..maybe they shouldnt let you get a mustang in the first place. A mid-90s honda accord or camry with a 4 banger would be more wise for your situation...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts