Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey I am new here. Just signed up today looking to get more information from guys on here with more knowledge and maybe to learn a thing or two here.

I have a 2002 Mustang 3.8 5 speed. I want to know what I should buy when my income taxes come.
So far I have a cheap ebay CAI and dual flowmasters.
The flowmasters I got have a flanged Y pipe.. should I have got the GT flowmasters? would gt ones bolt directly to a X pipe? :?:

Some things I have in mind are:
3.73 gears with T-LOK
LT headers with X or H pipe? and what brands. :?:
Vap Windstar kit? Does this fit under the hood? :?:

I know for sure Im getting a SCT Tuner.. but I just want to know where I can get the most power for my car and get off the line/light faster.

· Registered
684 Posts
Respect given for being 10x less of a noob then most and doing research obviously !!!!

Welcome.

Stick with you Original 40s.

For you Ill say this:
Exaust:
catback only: H pipe dual 40's dumped
Full exhaust: LT's, O/R or High flow cats, H pipe to 40s, or Prochamber, to whatever muffler you decide sound the best.

Check your emmisions laws and make sure you can get by with major exhuast mods

Exhaust needs to be done by a shop if you can not weld, clamps dont do it. Flanges can be welded on and bolted together, that'll do. But to make sure things fit together right, have a shop custom weld.

Btw, unless its so big it wont fit under the car, idc if its for a V8, V6, V10, or anything for that matter. If it could be welded under your car it will work just fine, example: Prochamber is only sold for V8 but their is one under my car :)

Gears/Tlok WIN* do realize installation at a shop cost a few pennies. Make sure you have enough money.

VAP has made the kit fit under the stock hood: Ask me how i know. As many other are running it also.

Tuner will be needed for O/R exhaust/long tubes to alter exhuast CEL's, and if you get gears it'll be needed to adjust speedo.

Tuner is pretty well needed to support most mods that are actually worth putting on your car.

Personally going to suggest gears/tlok (with tuner of course) for your pref of off the line. You'll be able to launch at higher rpm w/ more traction from both tires.

All 3 are excellent options for fairly "light" mods to start with.

Great choices.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, thanks.

The research I have found is that Pacesetters LT headers are a PITA to put on and the black on them flakes off quick. I cant really seem to find a good exhaust clip of what sounds best, X or H pipe.

I also can't seem to find MAC or BBK longtube headers. But are Pacesetters worth the hassle?

I looked at AmericanMuscle, CJPonyparts, JEGS...
Any other good sites you would recommend?

There aren't any emissions here in Michigan so anything can be put on.

And is there a difference between Richmond, Motive Gears and FR gears?

Sorry for so many questions, just want to make sure I have nothing but the best and every opinion counts.

· Registered
3,756 Posts
Lol, thanks.

The research I have found is that Pacesetters LT headers are a PITA to put on and the black on them flakes off quick. I cant really seem to find a good exhaust clip of what sounds best, X or H pipe.

I also can't seem to find MAC or BBK longtube headers. But are Pacesetters worth the hassle?

I looked at AmericanMuscle, CJPonyparts, JEGS...
Any other good sites you would recommend?

There aren't any emissions here in Michigan so anything can be put on.

And is there a difference between Richmond, Motive Gears and FR gears?

Sorry for so many questions, just want to make sure I have nothing but the best and every opinion counts.
the paint on the pacesetters is not meant to be permanent it's to keep them good while they wait for install, if you want it to be painted you must sand them down and re-coat with HI-temp paint, or spend the extra dough on the ceramic coated ones which IMO look better

MAC makes them but BBK does not
MAC LONG TUBE HEADERS CHROME 3.8L V6 1-5/8" 1994-1997 ,2001-2004 | CJ Pony Parts

Mustang V6 Headers from StangMods.com

Mac Performance - performance accessories for cars, trucks, and motorcycles

for the pacesetters... jegs was the cheapest i found when i was looking around for mine then i checked ebay and saved $15 haha

jegs=summit on price
ebay is cheaper (azraceplace store name) if they have them anymore

my old setup before motor work: pacesetter lt's, some cheap high-flo cats from autozone, pypes x-pipe, knock-off flow 40's ran out back of car
Mustang V6 flowmaster exhaust - YouTube

as for install, i did drivers side in about 10 mins once i had the factory crap out of the way, it's easy just undo the bolt in steering shaft to allow you to pull it out of way, then slip in header and bolt on, then reattach the shaft.... (pacesetters are weld-in or slip fit design so i just temporally clamped it to old exhaust to make it to shop without getting pulled over for open headers in town XD)

the passenger side i didn't feel like chancing on my own so i had a shop do it (didn't have the right stuff to slightly lift motor up at the time) the write-up i read said it required just a few inches to clear it, and thats what the shop said they had to do, i wasn't there to watch so i can only go on their word....

on to the gears..... they are all good, no brand specifically produces a whine only the improper install of them will make the sound, a highly reputable shop is recommended for this job not one that'll just bolt it up and not check anything at all

questions are no bother, that is what we are here for :bigthumbsup

· Registered
6,151 Posts
BBK longtube headers do not exist for the v6. all headers are a pain to put in because of where they're located, but the pacesetters are what I would get.

· Registered
684 Posts
Here is my experience and take it for what its worth.

I have an auto btw, they say the pacers dont fit an auto ... bull ****
I think the pacesetter design is very well made.

its a very tight fit though. If people who bought them and complained would read the sticker on the LT's, it says they are not coated with a high temp paint.
So I took mine and had them sand blasted and bought a couple rattle cans of high temp black exhaust paint. DIY easily done.

Install was ... a little easier being that I had most of my engine apart, so the driver side I could slip down from the top, but it does have the most clearance so im sure an under approach wouldn't be to bad either.

I had my motor mounts unbolted from the K member, so I just put a block on a jack and lifted by the oil pan up a couple of inches and was able to get the passenger side header in fairly easy.

Its definately a two person job to have one under the car aligning while the other starts the bolts in from the top.

LT's are sexy though :D

cammed w/ open long tubes:

Cammed V6 mustang 4.2 Open Long Tubes - YouTube

· Registered
597 Posts
If you're going to have the gears done, I would recommend going strait to an 8.8 in. axle. I pulled one from a junkyard for $100 and was fully satisfied with it. It'll cost the same to overhaul, but you'll be getting a much higher quality piece.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah as far as getting a 8.8 axle from a junkyard, it wouldn't be easy.
I live in a small town thats far from a lot of places lol.

And its sounds like pacesetter LT's will be what I get..

Maybe the mechanic will have a welder and can do it when he does the gears. I'm aware it will cost around $350-$500 to get the gears put in.

I read that people also find it not worth it to get a UDP..
Would that also be affected by having a large stereo system being the alt. would be working less?

Once I get my car out of storage in April I will make some videos and put them on here.
Ive never seen or found a mustang with carbon fiber stripes like mine :)

· Registered
2,870 Posts
UDP's free up a tiny bit of horsepower, but not enough to notice, and they mess up performance of a nice sound system so its not really worth it.

· Registered
6,151 Posts
it sounds very hollow when hes driving around.. id prefer it to have some high-flow cats to maybe tone it down a little.. other than that, it sounds ok.

· Registered
3,756 Posts
lt's, high flow cats, prochamber/h-pipe, and flow 40's :shigrin sound like sex kinda lol

· Registered
6,151 Posts
lt's, high flow cats, prochamber/h-pipe, and flow 40's :shigrin sound like sex kinda lol
i dont know whose sex you've been listening to.... but that's not what that sounds like lol

· Registered
3,756 Posts
i dont know whose sex you've been listening to.... but that's not what that sounds like lol
It was bumblebee and herbie............ :heha: :heha: :heha:

Yeah wish I could find a cheap prochamber somewhere... Not spending that kind of money on a new one..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.