Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never put anything on my mustang, and recently decided to start doing some simple things. (its still my Daily Driver, so no turbos yet :p)

was thinking of getting the Steeda Underdrive Pulley System, an exhaust, a CAI, and a SCT Mustang Livewire Tuner. was wondering which of these anyone had, and which one i should get first (i was planning on the pulleys, then the CAI, then the tuner, and then the exhaust, since from what i hear, it only makes it louder)

so, which should i get first, and if there is something i didnt mention here, please put them up. i am not doing anything serious yet, so please keep that in mind.

thanks!

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
CAI with tuner and exhaust is a good start.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Most CAI's require the Tuner as well. That is your best first mod, then Gears are the next best after that for easy mods

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
please dont rag on me for this lol, but somewhere here i saw something that said something along the lines of suspension mods increasing MPG? maybe i misread it, but i have no clue where it is. what gain would i get from a suspension kit other than better grip on turns and what not.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Thats really about it Suspension will allow you to plant all that power to the ground and prevent future damage to your rear end from wheel hop.

I personally think suspension is the best mod you can do.

·
Registered
121 Posts
please dont rag on me for this lol, but somewhere here i saw something that said something along the lines of suspension mods increasing MPG? maybe i misread it, but i have no clue where it is. what gain would i get from a suspension kit other than better grip on turns and what not.
Yeah maybe you misread something no increase in MPG with suspension. Tuner and intake, yes. There are suspension kits to help lanch your car better like Tact out says.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
Do the CAI and tune at the same time. And if you don't need all the Livewire bells and whistles, get an Xcal2 or X3.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah maybe you misread something no increase in MPG with suspension. Tuner and intake, yes. There are suspension kits to help lanch your car better like Tact out says.
thats why i was confused, was trying to figure out how that would help, but figure if i ask then someone would correct me :D

and stlwagon what is the main difference in the xcal2 and 3?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Which mods you should do first kind of depends on how much you want to spend. I went with CAI, pulleys, tuner, dyno tune, and exhaust. That got me to just over 300 RWHP on 87 octane gas. If I couldn't have done all of that at the same time, I would've started with the intake and tuner (and pulleys if possible).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks. right now i only have about $500.00 to play with, but given another couple checks i should have more.

is there a specific CAI i should look for? or is one gonna be just as close to the next?

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
JLT or C&L seem to work great with tuners and many have them in their S197's.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks everyone, i now have a small list of parts i plan on ordering after a few paychecks :D

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
+1 on the JLT but I agree with tact: it's all about first planting whatever power you have to the ground and "stopping the hop" so you don't "waste" available OEM power in trying to do that.

To do that on the budget you mentioned, you might want to consider a new UCA and LCAs (CHE makes some good stuff as do others).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.