Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just picked up a 2012 V6 Stang earlier this evening. I've had several older model Stangs over the years and love to mod (like ALL of you).

As you know, the list of potential mods is completely over-whelming ! With a tight budget to work with, it makes decisions pretty hard.

What mods would you do first ?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Depends on your goals for the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
In that case, wheels/tires, lowering springs, gears if you like, some appearance mods.

I'm not saying it was aliens...bit it was aliens.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
If you are DD the car I would say a tune, wheels/tires and an axleback of your choice to give it a little bit of sound.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
Advice on Tunes and axle backs ?
Bama tunes are what I have on my V6. They offer great customer service and they are sold with 'free tunes for life' through American Muscle. What that means is that if you buy a tuner from them that they will revise your tune when you get future mods for free as long as you own the car.

Axlebacks are going to be more of individual preference. I have the Flowmaster 'Force II' on my car and have been very happy with them. They are one of the milder (quieter) sets that are out there. The Roush are popular and are probably the loudest. Go to youtube and do a search and you will find all kinds of clips to listen too. You can also see if anyone local has a 3.7 that you like the sound of and ask them what they have.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
CAI, many people dont like em but it looks at home under the hood and the sound. I have the FRPP racing and I love em

·
Registered
702 Posts
This is what I do and what I recommend:

Hold off as long as possible on mods and only change parts once something has significantly annoyed you.

Examples of things that may annoy you that mods can fix:
Headrests
Horrible wheel hop.
Floating suspension
No traction straight, turning or otherwise.
Understeer
Engine too quiet
Hand hates shift knob.
Stereo sucks.
No throttle response
Constantly hitting rev limiter
Looks like has truck tires.
Can't do 130 MPH without driveshaft exploding.
etc.

The order of importance is really up to you.

Best bang for the buck is obviously not to change anything.

You will figure out whats important to you if you put a few thousand miles on the car stock. I try to autocross in a road tire stock index class, which somehow allows me to enjoy the car without going crazy with mods.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
z28th1ls is the advice to give highest weight to. I can say that because I am 4 tenths slower than he is, and, better reason, he knows his stuff.

The tuner (I also use the Bama-loaded SCT) may be $380, but it sets you up to adapt to later mods, builds power immediately by itself, lifts the low rev limiter, and provides hours/months/years of fun for bored fingers.

When the OEM tires are ready for replacement, use that opportunity to wheel and tire yourself up.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Honestly put a few thousand miles on the car stock. Make sure everythings working and is fine then mod away. I wouldnt touchthe tuner till you know (basically) there are no problems

·
Registered
719 Posts

Hold off as long as possible on mods and only change parts once something has significantly annoyed you.

Headrests
Horrible wheel hop.
Floating suspension
Understeer
Engine too quiet
Hand hates shift knob.
Stereo sucks.
No throttle response
etc.

You will figure out whats important to you if you put a few thousand miles on the car stock. I try to autocross in a road tire stock index class, which somehow allows me to enjoy the car without going crazy with mods.
Honestly put a few thousand miles on the car stock. Make sure everythings working and is fine then mod away. I wouldnt touchthe tuner till you know (basically) there are no problems
+1 these points.
The other posters comments are good and will help you decide what to do when you figure out what's most bothersome.

A comment from a frequent highway cruiser on CAI's. The intake roar was fun around town, but on the highway at various speeds it turned into an annoying throbbing resonant drone that became annoying very quickly. Your results may vary.:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put a few miles on mine before I started to mod it, I did Roush axle backs first because mine is a DD also, I couldnt be happier with them granted they are loud but I think it sounds pretty good. If its a true DD, axlebacks and a tune would be my first couple mods, followed by an intake or suspension IMO but everyone has a different theory! goodluck!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

How are the new tires on the stock rims? Do they giver more traction then the michellin bicycle tires that come stock?

S

·
0 Posts
There are some mods which can be done while it is new to you. I plan on putting a front strut brace on my 2013 first. Then, until the warranty is over, it will just be cosmetic changes, and a few odds and ends to make it more fun to drive. One strong possiblility is to replace the stock air filter with a K&N replacement. The stock intake is pretty good, and just a better flowing filter can add a few horse.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
z28th1ls is the advice to give highest weight to. I can say that because I am 4 tenths slower than he is, and, better reason, he knows his stuff.

The tuner (I also use the Bama-loaded SCT) may be $380, but it sets you up to adapt to later mods, builds power immediately by itself, lifts the low rev limiter, and provides hours/months/years of fun for bored fingers.

When the OEM tires are ready for replacement, use that opportunity to wheel and tire yourself up.
Thanks Grabber!! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
702 Posts
How are the new tires on the stock rims? Do they giver more traction then the michellin bicycle tires that come stock?
The Dunlops feel and corner way better than the stock tires.

They are also super quiet, super good in the rain, and the ideal street pressures (32 front 27 rear) are also the ideal autocross pressures.

They are however not straight line tire. They are better than stock, but if that is whats most important, buy something else.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Headrests
Horrible wheel hop.
Floating suspension
Understeer
Engine too quiet
Hand hates shift knob.
Stereo sucks.
No throttle response
etc.

Very good tips from everyone! I do appreciate it!

I have notice many of the things mentioned in the list above already.

Does a Tune effect the Warranty ?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
+1 these points.
The other posters comments are good and will help you decide what to do when you figure out what's most bothersome.

A comment from a frequent highway cruiser on CAI's. The intake roar was fun around town, but on the highway at various speeds it turned into an annoying throbbing resonant drone that became annoying very quickly. Your results may vary.:)
Wait what rpm do you cruise at? Lol

·
Registered
719 Posts
Wait what rpm do you cruise at? Lol
This wasn't my 3.7 and it was about 6 years ago.

It was more to point out that there can be a downside to the CAI. At least if you are planning a roadtrip you can switch her back to stock if it's a problem. Then switch it back.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts