Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the car this spring only to find out that the motor is in need of a complete overhaul. Very rough idle, throwing lean codes, and loosing oil pressure when warm. At 195,000 miles its time to just rebuild it.

So i want a car that will be able to roast tire from a roll and just be a blast to drive around. Car goes to alot of local car shows and really only gets taken out on nice nights. I don't get to the drag strip much but i would like to get 10s or close to it when i do make it there.

I would like to keep the stock block and have it sent out and bored .30 over and magna fluxed to check for any problems. Maybe a 331 stroker kit? or Can i make good power out of the 302? It has always been my dream to have a dyers blower sticking out of the hood and if funds allow thats really the route i would like to go.

So would i be better off to keep the car fuel injected or carb?

Would like it to stay pretty reliable if i did want to take it to nh from boston for the weekend (120miles).

So just give me your opinions guys on what i will need to achieve my goal.

·
Registered
511 Posts
running 10's is going to cost some money. after you build a motor capable of 10's will need to support that by replacing all of the suspension to help get the power to the ground. if 10's are your goal you should start with an aftermarket block because the stock one isnt going to like that much power.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't say funds are unlimited however i want to do it right the first time even if it means piecing it together little at a time.

So just point me in the directions of which way to go or what would you do.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
building 302s is a very hashed out topic here and elsewhere online...even HP tv has had shows on stroker builds, turbo builds etc...if I was you, I'd get a budget together and just buy a complete engine from Summitt, Ebay or other supplier...if you want to roast tires get some 4.10 rear gears...good luck

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would you recommend a complete motor?

Would you guys recommend having my block sent out honed and bored and crack tested, then getting say a D.S.S 331 kit for it?

With the D.S.S 331, AFR or trickflow heads, trickflow stage 3 cam. 70mm mass air 70mm throttle body, shorty headers, what would i be looking at for RWHP?

·
Registered
75 Posts
with that 400hp at least you will need to beef up your axles you will snap em if you dont best deal out there i like is latemodelrestoration.com the 347 crate mid 11s with that crate in my old car as far as carbed or FI thats on you im little more old school i tune my car by turning a screw on my CARB untill i hear what i like instead of paying couple hundred bucks everytime till i get a tune i like

1 - 6 of 6 Posts