Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of gas milage do you get with you 5.0 and did any modes you do help to make it better. I have a very short trip to work "about 3 miles" I checked it over a 2 week span I made a couple of trips less then 15 miles during this time and I end up with a little better then 14 mpg I hope to put a highway test on it soon to compare it with so I can have that data to post back here as well. I haven't had the car for very long and have just got around to checking the milage a little. It is stock as for as I know I put the stopped up cats out of the house and put flow masters on for tone. I replaced the O2 sensors and Im looking at shifters and cold air for my next mods. I want to get the most mpg that I can on the way.:handball:

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
With my setup and 3.73 gears I get around 13 mpg in the city. I also make short drives because work and school are close to me so it doesnt really have a chance to warm up. It's maybe like 5 miles inbetween everything and lots of stop signs + lights.

It doesnt help that I take off spiritedly half the time or dont hesitate to pass slow people.
If you havent already, upgrade to a k&n air filter.

I have found that accellerating not so fast really helps your mileage by as much as 40 miles per tank.

Aside from that you should make sure your tirse are filled and your alignment is perfectly straight.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My Motor is still pretty much a bone stocker, If I drive all highway I can get about 24 MPG. When I drive back and forth to work with my foot in it I maybe get like 17-18 MPG.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've got 30 + MPG on the highway, that AOD with a 2:73 gear is great for the open road. Around town is much much less, about 16 to 18 MPG.

·
Registered
253 Posts
100m/tank city
150-170m/tank highway
the price you pay for performance????

·
Registered
14 Posts
When purchased in 2000 and bone stock (even with silencer) I was getting 16-17 mpg in town. Last year was getting between 14 -16 mpg. This year after the car sitting most of the summer due to electrical problems and interior resto I have gone from 9 up to 12 mpg. I expect this to get better by Spring when I tune her up.

A lot has to do with my very heavy left foot, but part is due to the crappy Chicago area gas formula. My van was getting 16 -18 mpg now we rarely get 15 mpg. All in city driving, stop and go with trips rarely over 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
With the few mods that I have and stock gears i can get up to 29 mpg, (stock I used to get 32), but thats only on 200 mile freeway trips back home. In town I only go 2.5 mile trips to school and work, and I only get 14-15 mpg. I do have a heavy foot though... :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
90GT AOD said:
I've got 30 + MPG on the highway, that AOD with a 2:73 gear is great for the open road. Around town is much much less, about 16 to 18 MPG.
god, if that's true then you're like, my hero...

how'd you get an AOD with 2.73 gears? (you are talking about your rear end, right?) self-install?

oh, yeah, i get about 21-22 mixed highway and city driving. most I ever got was 26 on a long trip from KY to Detroit (only cause I put it on cruise control and hardly had to touch the gas for like 300+ miles.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
With a Intake ported 5mm over stock and 2.73's 25 to 27 MPG

Anywhere from 250 miles to 350 miles per tank. A couple of times I have squeezed 380 out of a tank.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i get better gas mileage in my 5.0L than i do in my wrx...
although the tank is smaller in the stang then the wrx by about 10-15Liters...
i get about 380-400km's on the 5.0L
wrx i get anywere from 340-360km's
that is mixed city driving and hwy.

wrx is bone stock
5.0L biggest thing so far would be vortech supercharger, 373 gears...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
heavy footed

Its hard to drive a 5.0 without having a heavy foot I like to hear it sound off and every now and again Just love to spin the tires.
I haven't had time to get my highway reading yet it seems there just so much work to around here and at work. Im off next weekend maybe then I can roll it down the highway and check the mpgs for that. Thanks for all your replies. I want to get this info before before I do anymore modes as a base to see what happens with each change

·
Registered
918 Posts
I get about 13 mpg, do all my driving around town, and like most tend to have a heavy foot at times. But then I didn't get the car for it's fuel economy. It helps that the car is my toy, not needed as a daily driver.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ive gotten 22 before, but mostly now i get 18.5 with my 3.73s and Tremec T5. My buddy gets like 13 but hes got cobra intake on his 86 and probably bigger injectors.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I get between 14-18 mpg around town.

I have gotten 10 mpg before. HEH

on the highway i get the same gas mileage as my wifes 4 cylinder FOCUS. 25-29 mpg. Hard decision on long trips i tell ya. LOL

·
Registered
291 Posts
CaptainSkyhawk said:
god, if that's true then you're like, my hero...

how'd you get an AOD with 2.73 gears? (you are talking about your rear end, right?) self-install?

oh, yeah, i get about 21-22 mixed highway and city driving. most I ever got was 26 on a long trip from KY to Detroit (only cause I put it on cruise control and hardly had to touch the gas for like 300+ miles.)
No lie, I drove it from Michigan to Florida and stopped every 300 miles to fill up and it barely took 10 gallons of gas everytime. The rear gear came stock with the car, bought it new in April of 1990, and that's what was in it. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I get about 19 and change on a near stock, tired (150k plus) 5.0, with the t5 and 3.08s. The drivings about evenly split between highway and street, and I do baby the car.

J

·
Registered
514 Posts
my 94 had 2.73 gears with a aode stock and got over 300 miles per tank...now with mods and 3.90 gears and a heavy foot i get just over to just under 200 a tank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.