Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. there is no way my car is going to even pass a visual inspection, let alone a sniffer, so i was thinking about just scrapping all that smog crap entirely.

what kind of effect does removing the smog pump have, and what else do i need to remove or modify in this process.

any ideas or experienced suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
systronic said:
hey guys. there is no way my car is going to even pass a visual inspection, let alone a sniffer, so i was thinking about just scrapping all that smog crap entirely.

what kind of effect does removing the smog pump have, and what else do i need to remove or modify in this process.

any ideas or experienced suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Removal of the smog pump really will only save weight. The EGR system is designed to only open at about mid-throttle. It is not open at idle and is not open at WOT so as to not subtract from power. The pump does weigh a little bit and when you take it off, it's one less thing for the crank to turn. I took mine off. When you do, make sure to either unbolt and cover , or cut and crimp the metal line that runs to the back of each of the heads. Also make sure to block off and/or weld up the pickup tube in the H-pipe.
If you have A/C I believe the correct sized belt would be 84.5". I think I had to end up using an 85 because they didn't have 84.5. I haven't messed with the EGR plate on the intake, though. Anyone have any suggestions on that?

·
Registered
688 Posts
what do you do with the vacuum lines for the smog system after you take the system out, can u just cut them and leave them or do you have to plug them somehow?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its an 88 LX mustang. what about using a somg pump delete pulley kit? that works too right?

·
Registered
688 Posts
but what do u do with the vacuum lines. i want to get rid of mine too, but i dont know if i should just leave the vacuum lines and dont worry about them or do they need to be sealed off

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just cap them off...a screw or bolt will do the trick...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm about to get a GT40 manifold and I am pretty sure they have an EGR blockoff plate built in to them. What do I do with the harness that plugs into the EGR sensor on the stock EGR block? I've already removed my smog pump and all the lines and blocked everything off. Any suggestions:?:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.