Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 1999 v6 and I'm lookin to change the spark plugs wires and coul pack but I don't know which are the best for this car I've heard many things like ngk are bad for a mustang and to stay with a copper core but I have never done spark plugs before so all your help would be great thanks guys.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hey guys I have a 1999 v6 and I'm lookin to change the spark plugs wires and coul pack but I don't know which are the best for this car I've heard many things like ngk are bad for a mustang and to stay with a copper core but I have never done spark plugs before so all your help would be great thanks guys.
NGK is contracted by Ford to make most of the Motorcraft spark plug line...

OEM is platinum. Stay with platinum for a stock car. Copper is used in most performance engines because the copper will tend to melt and errode before the piston does in the case of a catastrophic failure. There are other reasons copper is used, but none of them concern a stock V6.

Copper will last 20-30,000 miles, while platinum will last 60-80,000.

As for the coil pack, I would not change it unless it was defective. If I had to change it, I would only swap in a direct replacement, meaning an OEM Motorcraft coil pack. Do not fall for the tricky language of aftermarket coil packs and the cheap price of generic brands. You don't need more voltage than the stock part provides.

RockAuto sells the Motorcraft coil packs for my 97 V6s for about $95 each. I believe they are the same part number as yours. That's the cheapest I've found them by about $80.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok great thank you! I think I'm gonna go with a nice set of motor raft spark plugs I found on rockauto. I won't even bother with the cool pack because its not defective and it sounds like its not worth it. That just leaves the wires I hear msd are the best. Those are fine to use right?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ok great thank you! I think I'm gonna go with a nice set of motor raft spark plugs I found on rockauto. I won't even bother with the cool pack because its not defective and it sounds like its not worth it. That just leaves the wires I hear msd are the best. Those are fine to use right?
To be honest, they're just an extra expense. I could see someone arguing that some wires are better than others at blocking electrical interference, but that's really not an issue unless you are planning to install this engine into an aircraft.

I run the Motorcraft originals in my GT and Cobra. Perfect length, correct boots, secure clips, and numbers on each wire for the corresponding cylinder. Flawless. RockAuto is good for those, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it's not like one wire is better than the next or is better with the energy transfer or anything like that. And with the plugs it's not like one is gonna give the car more power thn another right.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Correct.

There are individuals who will swear up and down all day long that certain spark plug designs are worth their weight in gold, but in the end it's timing that makes power, not the plug. As long as the plugs are gapped correctly, there will not be a distinguishable difference in performance between them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts