Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok say i got like $100, now i know its not much but its all i got. What performance mod(s) should i get for my 98 manual V6. I already have intake, exhaust and shifter. Thank you

·
Registered
82 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
Ok say i got like $100, now i know its not much but its all i got. What performance mod(s) should i get for my 98 manual V6. I already have intake, exhaust and shifter. Thank you
I think you can get some uderdrive pulleys. Might be a little more?:thumbsup

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
do they really add a noticable amount of performance?
yeah, especially from 3000 RPM +

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
do they really add a noticable amount of performance?
pullys are nice but if you plan on putting a good sound system in your car you can forget it, cause underdriving your alternator and sucking that much juice will kill your battery in a heartbeat

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
tex117 said:
pullys are nice but if you plan on putting a good sound system in your car you can forget it, cause underdriving your alternator and sucking that much juice will kill your battery in a heartbeat
nah, I've been running mine with a heavy duty amp, and I've had no charging issues at all.

If you decide to run a couple of sub woofers, you can always overdrive your alternator pulley with one from ASP.

They're better engineered now than the old 5.0L days.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
really, where do you find the correct belt to fit that set up if you were to overdrive it?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
tex117 said:
really, where do you find the correct belt to fit that set up if you were to overdrive it?
it's not so much larger the belt tensioner can't handle the difference. The alternator doesn't take that much to spin at higher rpms, nd it's preferable to overdrive the alternator, which doesn't take very much power at all versus the water pump, power steering and compressor, which take HUGE amounts of hp to turn.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, so i already have 2 12'' subs so is it a bad idea to get the pullys, i also have an optima red top battery

tex117 said:

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
ok, so i already have 2 12'' subs so is it a bad idea to get the pullys, i also have an optima red top battery
get an overdrive pulley for your alternator, and install at the same time. It's from ASP.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what about the kit from rpm outlet, it comes with an alternator pully. Wouldnt putting a larger pulley on the alternator defeat the perpose of getting a smaller crank

kscoyote said:
get an overdrive pulley for your alternator, and install at the same time. It's from ASP.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
what about the kit from rpm outlet, it comes with an alternator pully. Wouldnt putting a larger pulley on the alternator defeat the perpose of getting a smaller crank
No, because the alternator uses very few hp, you can spin it with your finger!

The BIG hp hogs are

1) the Compressor
2) the power steering pump
3) the water pump.

the alternator is small fry.

You can lose a couple of hp to the alternator & STILL make out like a bandit with the other three.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, so ur saying get an underdriven crank pulley 4 sure and an overrive pully 4 the alternator. Where can i get pulleys for the waterpump, and power steering pump?

kscoyote said:
No, because the alternator uses very few hp, you can spin it with your finger!

The BIG hp hogs are

1) the Compressor
2) the power steering pump
3) the water pump.

the alternator is small fry.

You can lose a couple of hp to the alternator & STILL make out like a bandit with the other three.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
ok, so ur saying get an underdriven crank pulley 4 sure and an overrive pully 4 the alternator. Where can i get pulleys for the waterpump, and power steering pump?
you slow down the crank pulley, ALL the rest slow down. you don't need anything else.

Sell the Alternator pulley that comes with it on e-bay, and get an overdrive pulley from ASP.

Or you can go to ASP and do the same.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the alternator pulley i see on there is a 3/4 is that the right one?

kscoyote said:
you slow down the crank pulley, ALL the rest slow down.
you don't need anything else.

Sell the Alternator pulley that comes with it on e-bay, and get an overdrive pulley from ASP.

Or you can go to ASP and do the same.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
the alternator pulley i see on there is a 3/4 is that the right one?
you'll have to call them, or look in the archives, I use netscape, and it's really tough to navigate their site unless you have IE.

it should be clearly labeled as an overdrive pulley. I think you may be able to search the site.

But it's in the archives, look for overdrive pulley.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, i found the overdrive pullys section, but they are all for 5.0 mustangs.

kscoyote said:
you'll have to call them, or look in the archives, I use netscape, and it's really tough to navigate their site unless you have IE.

it should be clearly labeled as an overdrive pulley. I think you may be able to search the site.

But it's in the archives, look for overdrive pulley.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
whups!

you've got a 98!

I think the super coupe has the same alternator, but you should call to make sure!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.