Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Mustang v6 Premium 201A and was wondering if there really is any benefit to using 91/93 Octain...any comments are helpful.
cabodave9

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
In my 5.0 I've tried 2 tankfulls at 87 and 2 tankfulls at 93 and I honestly can't tell a difference. Shocked by that I had my wife fill up twice with a mystery tankfull and I tried to tell a difference. I got both wrong. So, either my senses are really dull, or it's very difficult to feel the change in octane without a stop watch!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to put anything other than regular in the V6s.

I just got my V6 premium 202A, and I didn't see anything in the owner's guide about putting in higher octane gas. But then again I wasn't really looking for it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The manual doesn't specify what Premium gas will do for a V6 (p.289-290):

Octane recommendations​
Your vehicle is designed to use “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Octane recommendations (5.0L V8 engine)​
Your vehicle will run normally on 87 octane regular fuel without
damaging the engine, but premium fuel with an octane rating of 91​
(R+M)/2 or higher is recommended for best overall performance.

The website does specify that Premium will allow the V8 to perform at its optimum level:

2012 Ford Mustang | View Full Engine Specifications | Ford.com

V8:
Regular Fuel: 402 @ 6,500, Premium Fuel: 412 @ 6,500
Regular Fuel: [email protected], Premium Fuel: 390 @ 4,250

·
Registered
355 Posts
Man - I've only seen this topic 100 times. Do a minimal amount of research before rehashing posts please. This has all be discussed before.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to put anything other than regular in the V6s.

I just got my V6 premium 202A, and I didn't see anything in the owner's guide about putting in higher octane gas. But then again I wasn't really looking for it.

The V6 benefits as much with 91 over 87 as the V8 does. Ford don't mention it for two marketing reasons:

(1) The V6 is marketed as a gas sipper "only car with over 300 HP and over 30 MPG". Even mentioning more expensive gas detracts from that message.

(2) They already have a marketing problem with the relative outputs of the two engines. Even with 87 octane, the V6 puts out slightly more HP per cubic inch than the V8 does with 91 octane. Put 91 in the V6 and it gets painfully worse from a marketing perspective. The V8 is marketed as a technological marvel. Ford doesn't want potential customers to know the emperor's clothes, while still there, aren't all they are cracked up to be. :winks

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a 2012 Mustang v6 Premium 201A and was wondering if there really is any benefit to using 91/93 Octain...any comments are helpful.
cabodave9
None. The engine is designed to use 87 octane, and there is no benefit for the additional octane and the cost associated with it.

"Octane rating" is simply a measure of a fuel's resistance to pre ignition due to compression causing increased temperatures in the cylinder. Engines that are designed to use 87 octane will run fine on it, and unless modified, will never see the internal pressure and temperature that would require higher octane.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
To complicate the issue further, in canada, 91 gas from shell is ethanol free and gives you higher mpg.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Man - I've only seen this topic 100 times. Do a minimal amount of research before rehashing posts please. This has all be discussed before.
Bravo, nice way to make the new guy feel welcome!

Why don't you be helpful and post a few links to some of those threads from here on the site on octane for 2011 and + V6s, we'd all like to read up on the topic. Since it's been posted hundreds of times that should be real easy.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
...in canada, 91 gas from shell is ethanol free ...
Life is not fair. :D

You did give me an idea though, I just checked to see if any US Shell was ethanol free and stumbled into this. Anyone ever see this before? Doesn't do many any good, no stations near me, but it might help some of you guys. Sure would be great for those of us with vintage iron too.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

·
Registered
435 Posts
jimmbbo said:
None. The engine is designed to use 87 octane, and there is no benefit for the additional octane and the cost associated with it.
You won't find split ratings for the 6.2L V8 used in the Super Duty pickups either, but Mike Harrison, the chief engineer for that engine, said on another forum that you would see more power with premium fuel.

Ask the engineer for the new 6.2l gas engine! - Page 9 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Modern Ford engines like to ride the hairy edge of ignition timing due to very precise knock sensors. Wouldn't surprise me to see a gain due to the increased timing the PCM will command if no knocking is detected.

On older engines you are absolutely correct though. Anything older than the last 4-5 years simply doesn't know what to do with higher octane without a tune. Some sources state that you will actually lose some performance.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Life is not fair. :D

You did give me an idea though, I just checked to see if any US Shell was ethanol free and stumbled into this. Anyone ever see this before? Doesn't do many any good, no stations near me, but it might help some of you guys. Sure would be great for those of us with vintage iron too.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Never would I believe that we'd have an easier time finding real gas in our country than you guys. I'll just leave it at that.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Bravo, nice way to make the new guy feel welcome!

Why don't you be helpful and post a few links to some of those threads from here on the site on octane for 2011 and + V6s, we'd all like to read up on the topic. Since it's been posted hundreds of times that should be real easy.
New or not - do your research. I put in a few months with no threads to get a feel for what's out there and what's not. Just because someone's new doesn't mean that we should oblige repeat posts. We're not 6 years old and don't need to be babied. Don't get me wrong, I love to help, but not when you can Google "v6 octane site:allfordmustangs.com" and find what you're looking for...

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Octane recommendations
Your vehicle is designed to use “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

Octane recommendations (5.0L V8 engine)
Your vehicle will run normally on 87 octane regular fuel without
damaging the engine, but premium fuel with an octane rating of 91

(R+M)/2 or higher is recommended for best overall performance.

The website does specify that Premium will allow the V8 to perform at its optimum level:

2012 Ford Mustang | View Full Engine Specifications | Ford.com

V8:
Regular Fuel: 402 @ 6,500, Premium Fuel: 412 @ 6,500
Regular Fuel: [email protected], Premium Fuel: 390 @ 4,250

Thanks very helpful...and cheaper!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts

"Ford also worked outside the engine to make the package a better fit for the Mustang. The powertrain ECU has been upgraded with a very aggressive deceleration cylinder shutoff for fuel economy, coupled with very rapid tip-in for street performance. On the flip side, the ECU has been reprogrammed with adaptive-knock spark control. If the two knock sensors embedded in the cylinder block don't hear knocking, the ECU will keep advancing the spark until it does.

What this means in performance terms is that, if the owner uses premium or race gas on weekends, the engine should make considerably more power and torque than the numbers quoted here, which are the product of standard SAE dynamometer laboratory testing procedures and not real-world driving."

from 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Engine - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I tried one tankful of 93, no noticeable difference in performance and no difference at all in mpg. Waste of money, IMO.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Remember the posters last year claiming that 91/92 octane would give you an extra 50 hp somewhere???? Those were the funny days.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Remember the posters last year claiming that 91/92 octane would give you an extra 50 hp somewhere???? Those were the funny days.
just like NOS stickers on ricers give them an extra 25hp! per sticker! :heha:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.